General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord EX. Help needed !

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX. Help needed !

hi everyone,

I bought 1994 honda Accord EX (manual transmission) last weekend. The car has 188665 miles on it but runs quite well. It has new tires, brakes, clutch and radiator. The car was being used in midwest, thus has some rust spots.
Now, I can drive automatic transmission cars very well, but am new to manual transmission. Also, I do not know much about car mechanics and maintenance. Being 12 years old, the car has following problems:

1. some minor rust spots. Any suggestions to take care of them or to avoid having mroe rust on car ?
2. Sometimes, car makes noise that is little louder than normal. It could be due to muffler, according to some. When looked underneath the car, it looks like the muffler's skin is getting peeled off. Forgive my noobie language. Does the muffler need to be replaced ?
3. when accelarating in second gear to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, it makes a little extra sound that lasts for few seconds before disappearing. Is it because of my novice/faulty driving or there is some possibility of something wrong ?
4. I was suggested by a friend to get an oil change and to get all the fluids topped off atfer I bought the car. Any suggestions which oil to use ? When I take the car to get an oil change, what are the things that I am supposed to get checked ? Also, what are the things I am supposed to keep in mind so that I won't be fooled by the mechanic working on my car?
5. Previous owner does not know whether the timing belt was replaced or not? Any way or finding that out ?

Anything I need to find out or need to know about this car?

Again, please forgive me for any noobie language. Thanks a bunch for any suggestions/advices in advance !!

Old 08-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Default RE: 1994 Honda Accord EX. Help needed !

Congrats on the accord purchase!

2. For the rust, you can try some touch up paint, but it's not easy to match paint. Maybe try the dealer and see if you can get some matched touch up paint.

2. If the muffler is peeling away, it's definetly time for a new one. They are prone to rust and with the car being a 94' I would say it's about time for it to go (depending on climate of course)

3. Is that sound you're describing sound like grinding? Any vibration in the shifter? Try using less force on the stick and see if it goes away. I know when I got my accord, 2 to 3 was the worst shift for me.

4. To avoid getting fooled by a mechanic is to know your car. And knowing (at least a little) about what goes on under the hood. Learn your service manual and learn to check your own fluids. I would suggest using a good brand of oil and filters and doing the work yourself. If that isn't possible, you'll have to find a mechanic that you can trust (and preferably ASE certified). There's a honda master tech that my mom goes to who started his own place and it's just him working on the cars. He's a trust worthy guy who does an honest, good job. You could look for someone like that. Ask around and do some research, and when you find a decent mechanic, stick with him. Your best bet, though, is to learn as much as you can about your car. There's nothing worse than paying $500 for a brand new exhaust filter retainer.

find out when the timing belt service was last performed, as this will likely need this service soon (and it is a must!!).

And lastly, feel free to gain as much knowledge as you can on this forum, as it has a lot to offer. Don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions. No one will put you down.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 AM

timing belts should be replaced on hondas roughly every 60,000 miles or so, personally I would use Castrol motor oil. 2 to 3 on the shifter definetly could be excessive force on the stick, my first honda was an '86 prelude 5 speed and it did the same exact thing. along with the owners manual buy either a chilton's or haynes manual and study it front to back, you can pick one up at any auto parts store for about 20 bucks.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you look toward the back of the owner's manual there is a maintanace schedule list .

i would have a shop remove the top timing belt cover and inspect it,, cannot charge you more than 30-40 dollars or do it yourself,,

if you do mostly city driving i would advice to replace t-belt every 70-75k miles
if mostly hwy driving 80-85k miles
along with timing belt make sure to replace,,balancer belt, water pump, valve cover gasket,upper spark plug seals cam, crank, balancer shaft seals, install retainer on bal shaft seal, alt, p/s belts,

as for the oil any brands will do if you have the extra money use MOBIL 1 ,, the key is to replace oil and filter no later than 3.5k miles ..since you reside in a cold winter climate i would use 5w-20 in winter and 10w-30 in summer

replace manual tranny fluid every 30k miles
air filter every 15k miles
plugs every 30k miles
fuel filter every 30k miles
brake fluid flush every 30k miles
valve adjustment every 30k miles
plug wires, cap, rotor, every 60k miles
rotate tires every 7.5k miles
coolant every 30k miles
yes,, you do need a muffler typical rust country wear and tear

as for the noise when shifting you got to be a bit more specific

Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Thanks so much for all ur replies !!

The 2nd-to-3rd noise does not come DURING the shifting, but it is heard when I am in second gear and raising the speed towards 3rd gear. It is not grinding noise but can be certainly heard as extra noise. Well, it could be described as vibrating noise !

Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if it is a vibrating noise, you might want to chk the exh heat shields..

does the frt end vibrate??, do you feel it under the seat??

Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 PM

no, the front end does not vibrate nor can I feel it under my seat. the best way i can describe the noise is that it is kinda noise that would occur due to resonance at certain sepcific speed, say for example while raising speed from 20 to 30 mph., it would occur at say, 25 mph point.... noise lasts barely for a second... but I dont feel the vibration anywhere. (Can I say " crinkling noise"?... I dont know whether thats an appropriate word but thats how it wound sound !)

Old 08-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Also, altough I have not driven this car a whole lot of times, once in 5 times while starting the car in cold condition (I mean to say, when the engine is not warmed up), it takes a second or two more before the engine fires up. Is it normal or prblematic ?

What could be the reason why power window on drivers side sqeaks a little while shutting? Also, the antenna sqeaks a little when I turn the radio off? Can I just put few drops of oil on Antenna when the radio is on and lubricate all the segments of it ?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 PM

The delayed starting could be a few things, maybe the fuel filter getting dirty or an injector getting old. If it doesn't do it all the time and it doesn't take more than 2 seconds to start, I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

The window could be squeaking due to the rubber window guides. You can also use some silicon spray to help keep the rubber lubricated. Apply a coat or two and see if it gets better. I know my windows need a bi-monthly application of that stuff. As for the antenna, I don't think some 3 in 1 or something would hurt. I'd probably try that and see if it helps.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 AM

timing belts should be replaced on hondas roughly every 60,000 miles or so, personally I would use Castrol motor oil. 2 to 3 on the shifter definetly could be excessive force on the stick, my first honda was an '86 prelude 5 speed and it did the same exact thing. along with the owners manual buy either a chilton's or haynes manual and study it front to back, you can pick one up at any auto parts store for about 20 bucks.

do not i repeat do dont use castrol. formula shell, mobil 1, supertech believe it or not, are all good oils to use. castrol is an oil commonly known (in my experience and others i know) to produce sludg. if you whant to use castrol be my guest, its all in peoples opinions. no hard feelings i hope drummer. castrol doesnt make oil. they market it. and yes supertech is marketed by walmart. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord EX. Help needed !