General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord EX wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX wont start.

I may have mentioned this issue long ago under the username HondaAccordEX94. I haven't fixed this problem for many reasons. For one, it's my brother's car, not mine anymore. I'm looking for something newer.

Anyway, a while back my friend took the dash out while I was asleep. Long story with meaningless details, but the point is: the entire dash was removed. Well, over the course of the next two days, I put the dash back in. I then attempted to start the car and move it to no avail. I assumed it was the relay because:

1. NO FUEL PUMP SOUND
2. NO SPARK AT THE PLUGS (screwdriver test)

I took it out, checked the soldered portion for burns/melted points but it looked find. Bought a used one off of eBay that supposedly worked anyway, but that didn't help the car start either. I asked a friend who knows a little about Hondas and he said the other guy may have pulled a ground loose. I spent LITERALLY a month searching everywhere in the dash region for a loose ground wire, and EVERYTHING was plugged in. I took the fuse box out and tested it with a multimeter. It was also fine.

I got very frustrated with the situation and gave up. No loose grounds and the main relay is fine - yet the fuel pump isn't coming on and the spark plugs are getting no power. The engine turns over, but that's it. I believe I recall lights popping up on the dash and then going off after a second.

I'm going to jump back into this mess of a car as soon as it gets warm. to do list:

Unsolder and then resolder all of the points on both main relays with 60/40 and retest. If that doesn't work, I'm removing and testing the ECU. If the ECU checks out fine, I'm testing the fuel pump (because I don't hear it) and the ignition system.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I'd like to get this car running because my grandparents bought it and I feel bad that it's messed up.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Can you do me a simple test.....key to on, what is the voltage on the BLK/YEL wire going into the dist?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Yes, I'll do that. I'll have to do it tomorrow when I drive by their house.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM

UPDATE:

My grandma passed away about 2 weeks after I made this thread, so I vowed to fix the car because of her wanting me to for so long. I went down there and worked on it for about 5 minutes... and to my complete astonishment it started. It seemed to be the main relay, although I don't understand that since it didn't work any of the times before that when I replaced it. Also, the ignition plug was loose and randomly the engine wouldn't do ANYTHING when I turned the key. I plugged that all the way in and put in the most recent main relay I've purchased and the car runs fine. Everything is back together and the car is running. I gave it to my brother officially, as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Wait, there is one issue I just remembered. There's a tick coming from the alternator/AC area. Sometimes it isn't there, sometimes it is. It doesn't change with AC on or off. I poured soapy water on the belts and it didn't go away.

The car idles at about 400. That seems low to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ticking might be that it needs a valve-clearance adjustment. And/or Honda fuel injectors are known to be a little bit noisy sometimes. A poor-man's stethoscope (scrap piece of garden hose) might help you pinpoint the location of the sound.

The bottom end of the tachometer is funny. I think the first tic-mark is 500, and there IS NO scale below that.