General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord help cranking not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord help cranking not starting

Hey, I'm in need of some helpful information on my 1994 Honda Accord.

The Problem
Well the car has been doing some awkward things the past couple months with cranking and starting for maybe a millisecond then either stalling or dieing right as it starts. I try to restart it does same thing without actually starting it just cranks. When I wait 10-15 minutes it want cranks then starts for another millisecond then dies or stalls out.

What I replaced
I have replaced the starter and brand new battery at first it fixed the problem for a month and then it started it once again. I then replaced the main relay and spark plugs which again fixed the problem for maybe two to three weeks then same problem. Replaced the ignition coil last week started fine until trying to go to work then started doing it again today.
Before I bought the car previous owner told me he had replaced the distributor cap and rotor along with spark plug wires I bought the car in November of 2010.

If you need more information tell me im even willing to throw up a video of it.

Website i went to for help is http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html
Which I followed all the way down the flow chart and passed all of those inspections. I proceeded to the spark test the spark plug to the ground was a faint yellow almost red maybe and from the distributor to the spark plug wire the same color.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Default no Start

Try holding key firmly so you can turn it to the crank engine position. Then dont let go completely of key. Let it come back a little just enough to disengage starter.but keep it running. Try this a couple of times. Its not to hard to do. If it stays running replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. If you have an alarm chances are you will have a wire from alarm spliced into black wire with yellow strip. Also..possible ignitor. Good luck. O.H.D.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Did you use the NGK spark plugs shown in the owner's manual? They run $2 each and most parts stores have them.

I would check for error codes. Read the thread called How to Get CEL Codes in the DIY section. You may have to change the display options to show all threads at the bottom of the page.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 AM

my car does the same thing but in spells. im pretty sure its my ignition, eventually ull start shutting off while ur driving, and starting back up again....sometimes u may have to throw it in neutral and start it like that. but i have to hold my key over until it starts then gently release, otherwise if i just let the key snap back itll just shut off again. dont do it too gentle tho, itll grind ur starter, just make sure it dnt snap back too far.....see if that helps

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 AM

Old Honda Dude"Try holding key firmly so you can turn it to the crank engine position. Then dont let go completely of key. Let it come back a little just enough to disengage starter.but keep it running. Try this a couple of times. Its not to hard to do. If it stays running replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. If you have an alarm chances are you will have a wire from alarm spliced into black wire with yellow strip. Also..possible ignitor. Good luck. O.H.D."

Tried this it dies almost instantly. The other ignitor I haven't tested but i did replace the coil so I guess thats the next step idk.

PAhonda"Did you use the NGK spark plugs shown in the owner's manual? They run $2 each and most parts stores have them.
I would check for error codes. Read the thread called How to Get CEL Codes in the DIY section. You may have to change the display options to show all threads at the bottom of the page"
Yes, I did use the NGK spark plugs that the manual told me to use. There were no CEL lights when I checked the CEL stayed on however, D4 light flashed and also ABS light flashed but I know whats wrong with those.

honDUHchick"my car does the same thing but in spells. im pretty sure its my ignition, eventually ull start shutting off while ur driving, and starting back up again....sometimes u may have to throw it in neutral and start it like that. but i have to hold my key over until it starts then gently release, otherwise if i just let the key snap back itll just shut off again. dont do it too gentle tho, itll grind ur starter, just make sure it dnt snap back too far.....see if that helps"
I tried this several times every way you can do it. With no different effects the engine will start but wont catch a rpm more than 100-200 before cutting out I dont even have enough time to possibly rev it to a rpm it just cuts out and dies which I believe is a spark related problem because I can smell the fuel

Last edited by opaque; 03-15-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:34 PM

injectors ok? idk if ur car is the same way, but my 98 accord has fuel filters in each injector tip. is it possible that injectors/ filters could be bad? you say it runs fine when it runs so thats prolly not ur issue. you may possibly need a new fuel pump.... wires could be jumping, the motor could be flooding (gas smell). idk, im somewhat new to the honda thing. ive only done injectors, valve cover gasket, distributor and a new head.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Well thanks for the help I checked those out but if im smelling fuel that means im flooding it rather than not smelling any fuel where they could be bad and to get fuel a working fuel pump is needed. Usually fuel pumps go out instantly and through what I read honda's have awesome fuel pumps that don't die untill the early to mid 300K mark. However I got it started after cranking it for 30secs while holding the gas down then finally after about a min and a half of doing this it started.

My friend said honda's act up in the rain but to me this isnt very reliable of an issue with this car for every time it rains the damn car won't start. Really need to find out what may be shorting out or whatever the issue is before the next time it happens.

Also a new item replaced was the distributor cap and rotor so im not sure now what to get to after checking the distributor itself and nothing seemed to be wrong there. Maybe the ignitor im not sure.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hondas act up in the rain? BS. I've had too many HondAcuras that work just fine in the rain. If it acts up in the rain, that means we should continue to look for something wrong.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

you could have a cracked fuel pump.. try putting a little fluid in the throtle body and start the car and hold down on gas pedal try that

Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by opaque
. I proceeded to the spark test the spark plug to the ground was a faint yellow almost red maybe and from the distributor to the spark plug wire the same color.
Originally Posted by opaque
My friend said honda's act up in the rain but to me this isnt very reliable of an issue with this car for every time it rains the damn car won't start. Really need to find out what may be shorting out or whatever the issue is before the next time it happens.
Ok, I'm trying to read between the lines and piece this together. Might be stating known issues but. The spark has me concerned, would like to see a blueish color than an orange/red.

And moisture and you get a no start, if I'm reading correctly. When you replaced the cap, what do the inside of the dist look like-was there a rubber ring? I'd pull the cap/rotor, ect and really inspect the connections to the coil and ICM. Also check the wires, could be another thing keeping full voltage from getting to the plugs.

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord help cranking not starting