General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord help cranking not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sparkplug wires with insulation that's "leaking" the spark? Start the engine cold, in complete darkness, and watch for arcing (even a dull blue glow). Whatever's glowing, replace it.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 AM

Ok so you all suggest I redo the spark test?

JimBlake "Sparkplug wires with insulation that's "leaking" the spark? Start the engine cold, in complete darkness, and watch for arcing (even a dull blue glow). Whatever's glowing, replace it"

Sorry, im kind of confused what should I take off to look for the glow? Take the spark plugs out individually? Im not sure where to go or how to proceed I apologize for my ignorance on this.

Btw this is Louisville, Ky where im at and it just stopped raining here yesterday and what do we know it starts so wtf?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

No, just wait for complete darkness and the engine should be cold. Open the hood, turn off all the lights, and start the engine. Walk over & look at the engine as it's running to see if there's any sparks or glowing stuff. There shouldn't be, so anything glowing should be replaced. Typically things like the sparkplug wires or the distributor cap.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

And if you add a spray bottle, fine mist, with water it might help as well.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Cool

First off. The correct way to check spark is not so much by color, but by KV induction. In other words, you want to see how strong the spark is. You can do this by inserting a phillips head screw driver down into the spark plug wire where it normally attaches to spark plug. The screw driver needs to be long enough ( 6 to 8 inches ) so that the steel shaft of screw driver is exposed. While cranking the engine or starting it ( it will run on 3 cylinders if tuned or just pull all 4 of the wires out of head. ) hold the screw driver with a plastic handle ( unless you enjoy a good jolt ) have someone crank the engine or just start it. Then hold the screw driver shaft to a ground. I use one of the four chrome nuts securing valve cover. When you see and hear spark, slowly back the shaft of screw driver away from your ground until it stops sparking. The distance the spark travels is your backyard way of checking the strength of your spark. Do this at least two times on all four wires. The spark should travel at least one inch. So.. Honda cars dont like some aftermarket caps and rotors as well as other electronic components. And...was there any oil on the plug wires when you pulled them out. This is as far as we can go at this time. Looking forward to your results. O.H.D.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Another thought. Someone asked if your Distributer cap had a gasket. Then I remembered you said something to the affect of rain may have something to do with it. Here is a possible scenario . Your driving your car one rainy day to the other side of town. Lets assume your Dist. cap has no seal ( rubber gasket ) . Your engine is at normal operating temp. You reach your destination and park out in the rain. An hour or so later its time to go home and your car won't start. Aww shucks!! So what happened. Could be many things. However, because I am creating this story, I know what's wrong. The heat from your engine compartment and exhaust system vaporized the water beneath your engine. The steam roiled around and easily found its way into your Distributor because there is no gasket. Don't dismiss the importance of that seal.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Have a 91 (~260k) which is doing everything opaque described here. Just started this morning - had to take my girlfriend's car to class, so I'll be investigating further later today.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Djangoo - good luck. If you run into problems or have questions, start your own thread, so things don't get confusing on this one.

If you solve the problem, you can tell us how you figured it out and solved the problem on this thread.

Good Luck.

Opaque
D4 light flashed and also ABS light flashed but I know whats wrong with those.
What was the D4 code(s)?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM

I have a 94 accord ex vtech also and it atarted doing the same thing yesterday when it stated raining, but when i give it a push on the gas pedal while starting it, it stays on but no other problems while running. i talked to some guys and they said i could have dirty fuel injectors or bad 02 sensor. plus my air intake hose has a hole, so check those.