General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord Turn Signals making Loud 'Buzzing' Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 1994 Honda Accord Turn Signals making Loud 'Buzzing' Noise

Hi Guys-

From the last few days, when I use my signal switch, 'Randomly' all I hear is 'Loud' buzzing sound(pretty annoying) there are no turn signal lights in the cluster.

If I turn on the Hazard switch, lights in the cluster come and no more buzzing or any sound. Right after that, if I use turn signal, they work just fine but the symbol for R or L turn on the cluster, starts to get dim and eventually Buzzing noise starts to come.

I have looked on this one:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...y-14242/page2/
AND
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...al-help-41196/

Now my question is before I throw any parts, need to make sure what's the actual problem, is it possibly a relay or a switch?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, possible it is one of those. Based upon the noise, I lean towrds the relay. Test the relay and the inputs to it to see what you get.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Almost A Senior Member

As always, thanks so much PM

How can I test the relay and inputs, can you please help?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

It is in the manual....but here you go

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Honda Accord Turn Signals making Loud 'Buzzing' Noise-5th-gen-turn-signal-relay-input-test.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks so much, once again PM.

So I bought a new relay yesterday and it's doing the exact same thing. Hazard switch works perfectly fine.

If I turn on the Hazard for few sec, then use turn signal they work for a second, then again Buzzing sounds start to come.

Another thing to note is, I have recently replaced a '3rd' light brake bulb and one of the rear side bumper parking light bulb and noise started on regular basis. It might be an incident but thought should share with you guys.

I used "GOOD" amount of terminal cleaner on the turn switch yesterday and poured a LOT by using a small pipe.

What else should I check next? Buzzing sound is really annoying and turn signals are important too. Any help or tips?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Can you feel the relay when this happens - should have said that a long time ago, sorry. Again trying to be sure the "buzz" is from the relay.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Yes, buzz is coming from the relay. I just checked it again.

Can a new relay be bad possibly? Hate to sound rude, but it's 'Made in China'

BTW, why hazards are working , aren't they controlled by the same relay? While when I use turn signal it's making 'Buzzing' sound?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Same relay, different power source.

Going off the deep end, when this is happening - can you pull the relay and measure the voltage on the "L" terminal.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

To add, I'm sure you have the "online" manual - it does leave out the ICU part but is close enough. You can see from it that when using the turn signal switch, power to the GRN/RED to the "L" terminal come from the switch......when the hazard switch is used, power to the GRN/RED and thus the "L" terminal is from the hazard switch.

SO my off the wall idea is that there is a possible issue with the amount of power being supplied from the turn sig switch? Again, don't replace anything on my strange idea, just trying to give you something to think about and test.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

It is giving you the same result, so I doubt the relay is bad.

If this was my car, I would probably go to the junkyard and pick up the hazard switch from any 94-97 accord and a turn signal switch (many hondas use the same part). See link at the end for parts searching.

Just from your description, my guess is the hazard switch is making poor contacts internally.

The other thing you may want to try is removing the turn signal switch and take it apart. You should be able to clean old dirty dielectric grease and replace it. You might be able to do the same thing on the hazard switch as well.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...35/#post245509

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord Turn Signals making Loud 'Buzzing' Noise