General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Honda Accord Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord Cruise control problem

Hey everyone,

I've been having an electrical problem with my 95 Accord recently... First off - It's a 5 speed manual and has a non-VTEC (original) engine. I've had it about 2 years now and the cruise worked well for 1.5 of those.

There are two green lights showing the cruise control, one to the left of the steering wheel (on/off switch) and one on the dash (once you engage it). Before today both of those were working fine, but the cruise control wouldn't hold a speed. The dash light goes off when I hit the clutch or brake, so I doubt it's those sensors underneath there.

Today, I was messing around under the glove box trying to fix it and a wire sparked - then the dash light wouldn't come on at all. The wire that sparked comes from an 8 wire plug under the glove box that had several wires cut (must have been before I owned it). Does anyone know where this wire is supposed to connect? There are no adapters visible, but I have heard of a cruise control module or actuator that can usually be the culprit... Please let me know if you have any thoughts!

I will get pics soon and post them.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, pics please.

Check the fuses in the under dash and under hood fuse panel as well. Was this always a manual trans or did someone swap it?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Have you checked the vacuum lines to the cruise control actuator? It's on the firewall between the fusebox and the intake.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

What color is the 8-P connector plug? Is it black? There is a black 8-P connector plug for the radiator fan control module located behind the glove box.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM

I'll take a look at the vacuum lines, thanks!

Here's some pics...

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Honda Accord Cruise control problem-20130204184207.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM

I also checked the fuses again and they all look good

Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's the connector plug for the radiator fan control module.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Is that on the same fuse as the cruise control? I'm wondering why a spark there would cause cruise to go out. I had an aftermarket fan control unit put in since it was not working.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

The common fuse is the No. 4 (7.5A) located in the under-dash fuse/relay box. The cooling fan circuit and cruise control circuit have other different respective fuses protecting their circuits; however, the No. 4 is the common one.

You may also have to re-check various fuses in the under-hood fuse box and under-dash fuse box. The aftermarket fan control wires may be spliced into some other wiring other than at the radiator fan control module connector wiring; or caused a short in some other wiring circuit.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM

First off, thanks for all of the quick replies, you guys are awesome!

It ended up being a combination of things unrelated to the mystery wire under the glovebox - I'm just going to tape that off and leave it. There was a small vacuum hose that came off along the back of the engine (It apparently comes off easy if you bump it so I may need to switch it out). I hooked that back up and the light still wouldn't come on on the dash. I assumed it was either the stoplight switch or clutch switch, so at 40mph I reached down and pulled back on the brake pretty hard and the cruise control kicked in (with the light)! I will probably end up replacing the stoplight switch if it keeps acting up, but at least now I know what the problem is!

-Strider

Quick Reply: 1995 Honda Accord Cruise control problem