General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: Tachometer not working properly
VSS
100.00%
Transmission speed sensor
100.00%
Vehicle speed sensor
100.00%
Tachometer not working
100.00%
Jerky shift
100.00%
Tachometer
100.00%
Cluster gauge
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

1995 Honda Accord F22B1 Automatic “Tachometer issues”

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 06:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1995 Honda Accord F22B1 Automatic “Tachometer issues”

So my tachometer just kinda slowly rolls up but not to the correct mileage, I’ll literally drive 15 miles an it says 200 something, I’ve been to the junk yard an grabbed an tried multiple vss sensors an nothing but the same results, I also replace the connector an then tried multiple vss sensors an nothing but the same result again, could this be my transmission input sensor? the big magnet? I just want to know how many miles I go without looking at the mileage, there is also a slight jerky shift an in my research it all has to do with the vehicle speed sensors, im going crazy!

Old 03-22-2023, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

The tachometer reads rpms. The tripometer can be reset and gives measures mileage for a trip (I use mine to track gas mileage). The odometer records the miles on your car.

Which one(s) is/are giving you problems?

Old 03-23-2023, 02:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Tripo definitely

Old 03-23-2023, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Your speedometer, trip meter, and odometer are all driven by the VSS. Is the odometer giving you correct mileage? Any issues with the speedometer?

Old 03-24-2023, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No not at all, I spliced a new plug too the vss an have tried a brand new one but I believe it was faulty, I did notice grime an grease in the hole the vss sits in, so right now I got a vss taken apart, im cleaning it up an gonna stick that on there after the mounting internal is clean as well.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

An yes odometer is correct an rpm’s everything but the trip, just strange.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Since the VSS feeds the odometer and speedometer and these items are working properly, then the issue has to be with the trip meter in the cluster.

The problem can be with the circuit board like a bad solder joint. It could be the stepper motor that turns the numbers as the VSS sends the signal. It could be a gear in the trip meter. They way I think of how they work is the VSS sends a frequency signal to the electronics of the cluster. Think of it as a ticking clock, where the ticking is faster the faster your wheels move. Each tick (or set number of ticks) causes a motor to turn a slight amount. That motor turns the numbers you see on the cluster. I'm assuming the ticking signal is a ground signal, but it could also be voltage.

Probably the only way to see what is going on is by pulling the speedometer and inspecting the circuit board on the speedometer and the cluster. You will look for a poor contact where the speedometer pins connect to the gauge circuit board. I believe they just push up against the circuit board. You can grab a magnifying glass to look for cracked solder joints. You may be able to trace where the orange wire (VSS signal) connects to the gauge cluster at pin C12. I suspect it doesn't split to the odometer and trip meter until it reaches the circuit board(s) on the speedometer, but I am not 100% sure. There isn't a wiring diagram that detailed for the circuit boards, so you'll have to do some inspections.

BTW, I forgot to mention earlier, another quick way to test the VSS is that your cruise control works on your car. If the VSS is giving a bad or no signal, the cruise control won't work properly, or at all.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Much appreciated, I’ll have to pull the cluster an strange cause I definitely replace cluster but junk yard one, but only had 159k on it mine was 200 an both same issue, im definitely gonna Check voltage an see if it’s wire or board, if so I know that runs in the main harness man this is gonna suck, we’ll let’s see thanks.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

So you've swapped the cluster in the past and you still have the same problem?

Old 03-25-2023, 04:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes just replaced

Quick Reply: 1995 Honda Accord F22B1 Automatic “Tachometer issues”