General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Honda Accord Door Unlock problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Default 1996 Honda Accord Door Unlock problem

Couldn’t find anything in search that pertains to my problem.

1996 Honda Accord coupe 4cyl 5 speed

the drivers interior power lock button will lock both doors but not unlock either door
the drivers manual lock works fine
the passengers interior power lock button will lock both doors fine but will not unlock either door
the passengers manual lock works fine
the drivers side key will both lock and unlock the drivers door fine
the passengers side key will lock and unlock the passengers door fine

things I’ve tried
changed out the fuse
changed both power doors power lock button
changed the door lock module in the drivers door

So my question is how do I get the power door lock buttons to unlock the doors?

Old 07-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

You only have a few items left to test assuming you had good replacement parts. This is either a wiring issue, or less likely an actuator issue since the keys get the actuators to unlock.

Your issue is confusing, because because the passenger key switch, passenger power switch,and the driver's power switch ground the same orange wire to the door lock module, and signal the module to unlock the doors.

Here are some tests you can try.. You need to jump from a good ground to the orange wire at the electrical connector of the driver's door switch. Try the same on the passenger door switch.

Also, have you done any work on the car not long before you noticed this issue?

Old 07-02-2020, 10:27 PM

Thanks I’ll try the grounds in the morning. Would the doors still lock if the orange wire isn’t grounded?
I recently purchased the car from auction. And haven’t really driven it before I noticed the problem so I don’t know if it was there when I bought it. The only work I’ve done is I stated changing out the greenish interior with some stuff from a Acura cl.

the center console is out at the moment not sure why that would cause a problem.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

A different wire color is grounded when you push the button to lock the car.

Google CD7_CD9.pdf. That is a 94 shop manual that you download from the web that will help you a lot.

G402 or G404 is connected near the storage pocket under the factory radio. The location is near where your right knee when sitting in the drivers seat, or the shifter in first gear. The electrical section in that shop manual shows the location of the ground. Make sure that connection is clean and attached.

The other item that could cause an issue is an aftermarket alarm or remote unlock system being faulty. They are usually installed under the dash in the general area of the steering column. Look for any wiring that is not in a factory wiring harness that lead to a control unit. These types of systems can cause strange problems depending on the installation.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

This is unusual due to the symptoms. Like PAhonda stated, check for an aftermarket alarm system; typically, where they are connected to are the Orange and the Blk/Wht wires at the option connector (C425) under the driver's side dash. Also look under the driver's seat to see if the car had the Honda Keyless Entry control unit.

If there is no aftermarket alarm system or a keyless entry system, in addition to what PAhonda suggested, some other things to check:
  • disconnect connector to driver's door lock actuator and see if the passenger door unlocks with the door lock switches.
  • check continuity of various wires in the circuit, including the Yel/Red and Wht/Red wires that go from the power door lock control units to the door lock actuators.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:23 PM

Thanks to you guys I got the problem diagnosed. The manual calls it Cylinder switch. But I think it’s mor of a key positioning sensor. It’s the one on the passengers side and the arm is broken so it won’t attach to the actual key cylinder. Any ideas where to find a replacement new?

Old 07-03-2020, 05:27 PM

It’s number 31 part # 72142-SV2-003

Old 07-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

You may need to get one from a u-pull-it junkyard or possibly ebay. Looks like honda doesn't sell a new part anymore.

You would have to pull it from the passenger door of any 94-97 coupe.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:52 PM

So one from a 4 door will not work?
is it possible to put 4 door rear handles on the front of a coupe and some how defeat that switch?

Old 07-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

When I looked up that part number, just 94-97 coupes were listed, so you'll have to get it from a coupe. The door sizes are different between the coupes and sedans.

I'm not sure how a rear door handle from a sedan will fix the issue, or if it will even fit.

This is the first time I've seen this part fail in this forum (over 14 years), so I think it is worth the risk to get a used part in your case. If part #31 on that list is the part you need to replace, then the easiest fix is to pull one from a junkyard. It will probably be an inexpensive fix as well.

Quick Reply: 1996 Honda Accord Door Unlock problem