General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Power Door Lock Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by millmeg
Ok, I was able to take a better look at this today. I have the factory keyless door lock unit under my driver's seat.

I detached the connector and the locks stopped acting up (cycling when no button was pressed, ect...). I can still lock and unlock the two front doors manual with the key, but now the I can't lock the other doors via the driver's side key. It just locks that door now. (Side note, I still am unable to lock/unlock the rear hatch with the key so that may be something different, hmm).

I have included photos of my unit, the connectors, and the board. I don't see anything wrong right off the bat. What should I be checking for?
The driver's and passenger door lock key cylinder switches, door lock switches, and the tailgate (rear hatch) door lock key cylinder switch all run through the control unit under the driver's seat. So, unplugging the connector will result in what you're describing. There is also the possibility the tailgate door lock actuator (which is part of the tailgate latch assembly) is bad too.

Visually, nothing seem obvious from the pictures even though I don't see all the details due to the size of the images. You would look for things like leaking or bulging capacitor(s), corrosion, cracks in the solder joints. If you have a solder iron, you can try briefly re-touching the various solder joints, being careful not to burn anything.

1. But first, we can possibly try to at least test maybe a few door/tailgate actuators.

In this attached picture, what are the color of the wires on the end of these two terminal cavities? Are they Wht/Red on one and Yel/Red on the other? Wht/Red is a wire with white color insulation and a red stripe running through it. -- We're going to try a test if they are.

2. Can you also take another photo from the wire side on the connector, this time showing the other wires, not shown in one of your other previous photos?

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-control-unit-connector.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

There is another possibility since you mentioned cycling, one or more door lock actuator may have an issue, for example, one or both rubber stops inside the actuator may have broken off. See this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cycling-48713/

Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The driver's and passenger door lock key cylinder switches, door lock switches, and the tailgate (rear hatch) door lock key cylinder switch all run through the control unit under the driver's seat. So, unplugging the connector will result in what you're describing. There is also the possibility the tailgate door lock actuator (which is part of the tailgate latch assembly) is bad too.

Visually, nothing seem obvious from the pictures even though I don't see all the details due to the size of the images. You would look for things like leaking or bulging capacitor(s), corrosion, cracks in the solder joints. If you have a solder iron, you can try briefly re-touching the various solder joints, being careful not to burn anything.

1. But first, we can possibly try to at least test maybe a few door/tailgate actuators.

In this attached picture, what are the color of the wires on the end of these two terminal cavities? Are they Wht/Red on one and Yel/Red on the other? Wht/Red is a wire with white color insulation and a red stripe running through it. -- We're going to try a test if they are.

2. Can you also take another photo from the wire side on the connector, this time showing the other wires, not shown in one of your other previous photos?
Here's the connector.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-fullsizerender.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by woody31
I had a similar issue on my 96. However my issue was the module behind the drivers side door panel. My car does not have the keyless feature but does have a alarm on it, which i hate with a passion. My issue was resolved by replacing the module in the drivers side door. Good luck. If all else seems ok, you could try to locate a used part like yours at a local pick and pull if you have any in your area, if not those cars are plentiful down here and local pick n pull is 15 minutes from here,,would give me a good excuse to get out and about.
Is that the actuator? I was able to pick one of those up locally yesterday, just in case it ends up being that.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

^^^ i think it is called a module,,im not sure,,it is not the door lock actuator,,i know that for sure,,this item is located befind the door panel,,remove plastic film and 2 philllips screws hold in place,,black in color about the size of a pack of cigarettes...easily seen,,the actuator is inside the door itself and 1 screw is a real pain to get to,,especially on re-install..good luck/

Old 03-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

This will test all the passenger door lock actuators and tailgate lock actuator. It does not test the driver's door lock actuator.

From unplugged keyless door lock control unit’s 18P gray connector:

Only leave the jumpers in briefly to test the lock and unlock function, then disconnect. Use the jumpers (spare pieces of wire or small paper clips) on the female cavity terminal of the respective wires.

To unlock passenger doors and tailgate:
  • Connect a jumper from terminal no. 18 (Wht wire) to terminal no. 7 (Yel/Red wire)
  • Connect a separate jumper from terminal no. 16 (Blk wire) to terminal no. 6 (Wht/Red wire)
Passenger doors and tailgate should unlock.

To lock passenger doors and tailgate:
  • Connect a jumper from terminal no. 18 (Wht wire) to terminal no. 6 (Whtl/Red wire)
  • Connect a separate jumper from terminal no. 16 (Blk wire) to terminal no. 7 (Yel/Red wire)
Passenger doors and tailgate should lock.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-power-ground-wires.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-actuator-wires.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-22-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo "of" instead of "or"; also added paper clips.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by millmeg
Is that the actuator? I was able to pick one of those up locally yesterday, just in case it ends up being that.
Your wagon does not have the control unit in the driver's door.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM

My accord does a similar thing. Keep us informed how you fix it.