General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord EGR kills at warm idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 12:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1997 Accord EGR kills at warm idle

I have been working on my 97 Accord. I have replaced the EGR valve after the EGR code CEL, and cleaned the EGR passages. When the vacuum hose is connected to the EGR and the car is warm the engine dies. If I disconnect the vacuum line the car runes fine. I don't know where to go from here. Is there something that compensates for the EGR when it is open so it doesn't die at idle? Thanks in advance!

Fax

Old 06-22-2023, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

The EGR code on a 97 means the valve position is incorrect as the ECU compares the expected vale and the actual value from the lift sensor on the EGR valve.

The EGR valve is operated by vacuum on your car and you'll need to figure out why you have vacuum to the EGR valve. The vacuum solenoid and vacuum regulator are on the driver's side of the engine bay on the front bumper side of the strut mount. It should have a plastic cover over it. I would suspect the EGR solenoid is stuck open or being commanded by the ECU or faulty wiring to open. I'd start by tapping on the solenoid with the electrical connector to see if solenoid seats and stops vacuum to the EGR valve.

If you need some help, google cd7_cd9.pdf for a 94 shop manual that is almost identical to your 97 accord. The shop manual is a valuable reference to troubleshoot problems.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I could not find the manual to download for a non sketchy site. The manual would help a ton. If you have it I could send a dropbox file request that you could drag and drop it into if you wouldn't mind (just PM me your email). I think the EGR is opening correctly as the engine runs fine while it is cold, but when it heats up and the EGR opens as it should the car starts to die at idle. I have not seen the EGR code since replacing the EGR. Thank you for the help!

Old 06-23-2023, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Based on your description, the solenoid is opening at the proper time, but your vacuum regulator is probably pulling full intake vacuum? You can follow the vacuum hose from the EGR to the vacuum controls. You may want to inspect the vacuum hoses on the controls to see if they need replaced.