General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord EX Vtec died and will not restart

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Default 1997 Accord EX Vtec died and will not restart

We have a 1997 Honda Accord EX Vtec with 4 sp Auto trans. I dropped my family off and the engine died about two to three miles from home. I cranked and it would not restart. I walked home for tools and for the exercise (bs). I have a fairly new battery (less than six months old) and a rebuilt starter about four months old (solenoid gave up the ghost). The engine spins fine. I removed the distributor cap and checked to make certain the cam turns ....... so no broken timing belt! This belt set has about 75K miles. I checked for spark at the tip of the coil and no spark (grounded screwdriver tip next to the coil tip). I believe it is either the coil or the ignitor. I have some engine oil leakage inside the distributor body. I have the replacement seal for the interior of the distributor body and the "O" ring for the outside of the distributor shaft body. Is there a straight forward way to check the ignitor with a volt/ohm meter? If so, does anyone have impedance values for the ignitor and the specific terminals to check?

I scanned with my OBDII scanner and no codes were found. I am thinking about replacing the entire distributor, however, I don't want to overlook something simple. I quickly visually scanned all fuses under the hood and I did not see any blown fuse(s). The fuel pump relay engages for about 2-3 seconds and the fuel pump runs during that interval.

I found several older threads that were similar. I thought I would start a new thread due to the age of previous threads and none were specific to the 1997 vtec.

I am certain there are troubleshooting flowcharts in my Helm Service Manual, however, I do not have easy access to the manual. Any suggestions where to start next (before purchasing a new distro)?

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by bsdubois; 11-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check the blk/yel (usual color, but I don't have your shop manual) wire at the distributor for 12v. If no voltage, the ignition switch assy is likely fault.

If power is available to the distributor, see following link to determine ignitor or coil. Coil is more likey than ignitor IMO.

Honda Acura Starting Problems Repair Guide, Main Relay Locations

good luck

Old 11-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Default Update on no fire

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Check the blk/yel (usual color, but I don't have your shop manual) wire at the distributor for 12v. If no voltage, the ignition switch assy is likely fault.

If power is available to the distributor, see following link to determine ignitor or coil. Coil is more likey than ignitor IMO.

Honda Acura Starting Problems Repair Guide, Main Relay Locations

good luck
Thank you for your kind reply. I finally got around to the Distributor. I have been working on the ABS modulator (another fun story). I checked the black yellow wire as you suggest and I have 12V+.

Next I pulled the distributor out of the engine. I removed the coil and found a burnt spot (½" in diameter) on the side next to the bracket.\. The metal retaining bracket also has a burnt spot on it. I tested the green/yellow wire going to the ignitor and my LED blinked. I know I have a good signal coming from the ECU. I tested the negative side of the coil's primary circuit and my LED blinked. This is supposed to determine the ignitor is working correctly. I still have no spark at the coil. Your suggestion that the coil is defective appears to be 100% correct.

I ordered a coil through my local Napa dealer. It is supposed to be at NAPA in the morning (along with a new cap and rotor and master cylinder). I will let you know how this works out.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Default follow up and completion of repair

Originally Posted by bsdubois
Thank you for your kind reply. I finally got around to the Distributor. I have been working on the ABS modulator (another fun story). I checked the black yellow wire as you suggest and I have 12V+.

Next I pulled the distributor out of the engine. I removed the coil and found a burnt spot (½" in diameter) on the side next to the bracket.\. The metal retaining bracket also has a burnt spot on it. I tested the green/yellow wire going to the ignitor and my LED blinked. I know I have a good signal coming from the ECU. I tested the negative side of the coil's primary circuit and my LED blinked. This is supposed to determine the ignitor is working correctly. I still have no spark at the coil. Your suggestion that the coil is defective appears to be 100% correct.

I ordered a coil through my local Napa dealer. It is supposed to be at NAPA in the morning (along with a new cap and rotor and master cylinder). I will let you know how this works out.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.
TexasHonda,

Just a quick note and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours......

I finally completed the ignition repairs on the 1997 Honda Accord EX. The issues were more complex than just the coil. The Ignition Control Unit (ICU) or ignitor was bad. I replaced both with OEM equivalents from NAPA. The ignitor has a 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty. I don't remember reading the warranty on the coil. I also replaced the "O"ring and internal oil seals. My oil leak is nearly solved.

I need to replace the seals on the vtech solenoid. I also need to check the gasket on the valve cover and the oil pan gasket for leaks.

I also need to double check the ignition switch. The solenoid on the starter clicked several times and did not pull in the starter motor. I doubt it is the starter because I replaced it in late summer with a NAPA rebuild (rebuilt in Mexico for the cheap labor). It has been in the car less then four months. I cleaned both ends of the positive battery cable when I installed the rebuilt starter. I noticed one of the ground straps is showing signs of corrosion and I need to clean and/or replace the questionable strap.

Thank you again for taking time out of your schedule to provide suggestions for my repairs.