General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord Instrument Cluster not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Default 1997 Honda Accord Instrument Cluster not working

Instrument Cluster SRS light lights up and one other light comes on. Check engine light does not. None of the gauges work they dont move at all and the odometer doesnt turn anymore. Any ideas? every once in awhile the check engine light will come one when turning the car on but not all the time.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Default Update

Went home for lunch after doing some research. Checked fuse 1 under dash and mine is a 15A fuse not burnt or blown. Checked fuse 32 in fuse block at engine bay, 15a fuse no sign of wear. Replugged in dash and all the lights are coming on the cluster now but the odometer, speedometer, fuel, and temperature dial all seem to be stuck. Any ideas? or time to replace the cluster? the speed dial will move from being dead at the bottom to 0 mph but wont go above that.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if this car is new to you. If all of these problems happened at once, then I would pull the cluster and test all the powers and grounds that feed the cluster. Also take a close look at the circuit board on the cluster for any signs of bad solder joints, burn spots, loose pins, corrosion, etc. especially where the wire harness connects to the cluster.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:24 AM

bought the car for $300 last year. I knew there were some problems with it. So when i bought it the lights on the dash would come up but not all of them. Let the car sit for a couple months just starting it to keep the battery live. Took it to a shop last week so they can do an overall diagnosis on the car. i got it back and they said its possibly a bad cluster but couldn't be 100%. Took it home only SRS and Brights would light up on the cluster. pulled it apart. Checked connections at the 3 green clips going in everything visually seemed okay. i had a voltmeter on one of the plugs and was getting a little less than 5v. Granted i don't know which wires to test. plugged the cluster back in and all the lights started working. Check engine, low oil, battery etc all lit up. The speedometer dial moved from dead center bottom of gauge to 0. However when revving engine tach doesnt move, neither does heat or fuel. Cannot drive car atm due to replacing most of the suspension and that section of the car is in pieces.

Last edited by zcxrrent; 11-17-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:40 AM

Bought a new cluster and plugged it in and same thing cluster lights up. Gas gauge went all the way to full like my cluster does. Speedometer moved to 0, tachometer wouldn't move while revving the car up. Also temperature gauge didn't move, this could be because the car was only running for a couple minutes.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

If the cluster was the original problem, then you would have seen a tachometer reading with the engine running.

Google CD7_CD9.pdf. This is a shop manual for a 94 accord where the cluster will be identical to your 97. Using a volt meter, you should test for 12V and ground on the harness to the cluster on the proper wires. Use a good known ground for your volt meter (like any bare metal). The circuit diagram for the gauge cluster shows which wires are powered by fuses and/or the ignition switch.

You may be able to narrow down the wires by looking at what powers the components that work vs the components that don't work. From your description, the yellow wire powering pin A5 and B6 from fuse #1 (10 amp) in the under dash fuse box would be my first test for voltage.