General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 honda accord lx not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 04:26 PM
Default 1997 honda accord lx not starting

As the title say my accord isn't starting I've replaced the distributor the idle air control valve the spark plugs and wires and the ignition switch also checked the main fuel relay its getting fuel air and spark but it still won't start any help in figuring this out would be helpful

Old 03-21-2023, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

There are 2 types of no-starts. A crank no-start, or a no-crank no-start. When you turn the key to start the car, does the electric starter motor spin the engine? Or does nothing happen?

Was any work done on the car before you had this issue?

Old 03-21-2023, 07:53 PM

It's cranks but it doesn't start and no there was no work done to it before this started happening

Old 03-21-2023, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

How are you testing for spark? How are you testing for fuel?

Does the starter/engine sound normal when you turn the key to start the engine? In other words, does the engine's compression sound normal where you get ups and downs in the sound? Hope this makes sense.

EDIT: Do you have a scanner that can read codes?

Old 03-22-2023, 04:05 PM

I took the spark plugs out one at a time and reconnected them to the wires and when I tried to start the car I had my buddy watch for sparks from them I don't have anything that can code test but I took it to autozone and they said the idle air control and the o2 sensor is all the popped up

Old 03-22-2023, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Posting the actual code(s) on here might help. They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234. You may want to check for codes the OBD1 way. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for how to check CEL codes.

Was there no spark before you replaced the distributor?

How did you verify fuel?

An easy test for fuel is to take the snorkel of the throttle body. Have an assistant spray starter fluid into the intake while you try to start the car. If the engine runs (even if poorly) then you narrowed down the problem to fuel and you'll need to investigate further.

For spark, your test may not rule out a weak spark or the spark timing. If you look at the distributor from the passenger side of the car, the distributor rotates clockwise (the direction the tires move in drive). Start at spark plug wire #1, then going clockwise, the next wire should go to #3, then #4, then #2. See picture below where #1 wire should be (your distributor cap is the lower part of the picture). Cylinder #1 is on the driver's side of the engine on US accords.

It is also possible to install the distributor 180° out of time (guess how I know!). You'd have to pull cylinder #1 spark plug, then hand crank the engine until you feel pressure. Using a long dowel rod or screwdriver, get the cylinder to the top of the stroke. Remove the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing towards #1. You can also pull the valve cover and look at the cam sprocket marks, but would take more unnecessary work.

Last edited by PAhonda; 03-22-2023 at 10:36 PM.