General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord Temp Gauge Fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Stop by a parts store and have the codes scanned. Your connector is behind the ash tray. Post the actual code on here. It will start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

I would still replace the thermostat and change the coolant. I suggest getting the Honda thermostat at the dealership, because it will open at the proper temperature.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IllusionistK
The dealer that I bought it from said that I need to get the transmission flushed; that it was "about that time." Is it wise to do so? @ what mileage does it require a change.
Don't "power-flush" the trans fluid. Just drain & fill. A Honda dealer should know that, so maybe that's what he really meant.

Change the ATF every 30k miles or so? Maybe someone with a 97 has another opinion...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM

Yeah the recommended change cycle is 24,000 miles at least that's what I saw at Autozone.

Update: I just had the transmission fluid drained and refilled!

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Stop by a parts store and have the codes scanned. Your connector is behind the ash tray. Post the actual code on here. It will start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

I would still replace the thermostat and change the coolant. I suggest getting the Honda thermostat at the dealership, because it will open at the proper temperature.
Here's the codes that Autozone scanners found: P0740

Old 08-31-2011, 01:18 PM

Just saw this: The Autozone clerk said that his instruments or whatever wasn't "telling me anything" and that I should take it to a mechanic.

Edit: I took it to Autozone to see why the check engine light was on - I didn't report to him any problems with the transmission so that was probably why he didn't mention the error code.

However, on the receipt it says:

"Troubleshooting P0740"

Definition - TCC does not engage

Probable causes:
1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Poor Electrical connection
3. Failed TCC system
Also: When I had the transmission drained and refilled, one of the servicemen said that the car was 1 quart of oil short... I was like "What the hell!" So now I have to go buy a quart of oil - I should've just had him do it.

On my way to ye ole' school this morning, the car(not sure which part of the car) made that revving sound again. I did a web search for the P0740 code and other people are having issues with the solenoid - It's either failing or about to fail, I'm not sure.

I priced a brand new solenoid at Autozone and they go for $219... I totally don't have $219 right now so I hope my car lasts me until I get my hands on the money. The engine, as I said, feels strong and reliable and the transmission up-shifts and down-shifts just fine even if it's a little bit clunky(especially changing to 2nd gear).

What do you guys think?

Last edited by IllusionistK; 08-31-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM

One more thing: The car has somewhat of a rough idle. When I decelerate or step on the throttle it goes just fine, no shaking or any issues - just that when I idle it starts vibrating a little rough(not violently though). Should I have someone adjust the idler?

Thanks guys, you've been plenty of help to me so far.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

More research on the issue:

• P0740 – Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfuction
Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions Table OBDII and OBD1 Retrieval Methods

I found a used solenoid on Ebay for $50. It's supposed to fit a 1990-1997 4-cyl Honda Accord. Here it is: 1990-97 Honda Accord Transmission Shift Solenoid Set | eBay

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Please add your car info to you signature, especially now that this is getting to mulitple pages, yes I'm old so I can't remember what year this is by the second page... Please.

How much are you willing to do yourself?

For the solenoid, sometimes you can pull them and clean the ends and be ok.

Idle or vibration, do you know when the last tune up (cap, rotor, check wires, plugs, ect) was? Then look into cleaning the tb pretty good, old tooth brush, rag and cleaner and be sure to get the back side of the butterfly.

Last, does this idle/vibration only happen when the ac is on?