General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 accord transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Default 1998 accord transmission fluid

Daughter has 1998 4 cyl, auto trans 225,000 miles. It has a rebuilt trans about 4 years ago. Since then it has about 60,000 miles on it.

I'd like to change the fluid. I checked youtube and it looks easier to do than to change the engine oil.

My question is about the transmission fluid type. Some people are saying be safe and buy Honda DW1 fluid from Honda Dealer.
Others say no big deal, you can go to Autozone and get Honda ATF DW1. Just get a good brand.

So what do you guys think?

Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I'd err on the side of caution and use the Honda fluid. The 98-02 transmissions had higher than normal rates of failures due to work clutch friction material, so I think the fluid type is important in Honda transmissions.

You may be ok with something else. I just don't think it is worth the risk.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Daughter has 1998 4 cyl, auto trans 225,000 miles. It has a rebuilt trans about 4 years ago. Since then it has about 60,000 miles on it.

I'd like to change the fluid. I checked youtube and it looks easier to do than to change the engine oil.

My question is about the transmission fluid type. Some people are saying be safe and buy Honda DW1 fluid from Honda Dealer.
Others say no big deal, you can go to Autozone and get Honda ATF DW1. Just get a good brand.

So what do you guys think?
Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such a thing as ATF DW-1 available at Autozone (or any other parts store for that matter). If you want to buy DW-1 for a good price, order it from Amazon.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM

OK thanks guys! might as well go to Honda dealer and get the real thing. Nothing to lose when I just need 3 quarts!

Old 10-31-2019, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Drain it into a clean pan so you can get a good look at it after draining. If it's cruddy, consider doing a drain/fill again after a few days or a week. Also look at the drain plug, it might have a magnet on it to collect crud.

The torque converter doesn't drain, so you're only changing about 1/3 of the total fluid.

Also... you probably saw that the drain plug has a square hole for a 3/8 socket drive directly without a socket. Most likely it'll take a huge amount of force then it breaks free suddenly causing you to face-plant on the garage floor. Just be prepared for that...

Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 PM

I am fairly sure the fluid is OK. I checked the level last Spring and it was "nice red". Not bright red like new and not quite turning light brown.
I have seen pictures of scales 1-10 with "1" being fresh red and "10" being black and has brunt smell.

I would say what is in the car is more like a "3". So I figure, if I drain 3 quarts out, then it might looks like "2".

And thanks for the heads up about how hard it may be to break the drain plug loose!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Hopefully LAST question. I realize that if I drain the fluid, I will only get 1/3 out.
(NOTE: this car had the transmission rebuilt by Aamco about 5 years ago - or about 60,000 miles ago. I have no idea what kind of transmission fluid they used, but I am hoping by using Genuine Honda Fluid
it won't hurt or react to whatever was in there. Or that at least it should improve the quality of the fluid, if they used something cheaper).

I see it is $8.75 per quart at a Honda dealer, So I plan to do this instead of Amazon. So I have 2 choices...

1) Drain out 3 quarts-, then drive around for 15 minutes, then drain out another 3 quarts. This should get 50% total.
Then I should be good for another 30-40,000 miles? (My daughter is not a harsh driver).

2) Just drain 3 quarts, then maybe wait til Summer and drain out another 3 quarts. Then I should be good for 30-40,000 miles?

Any suggestions?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Hopefully LAST question. I realize that if I drain the fluid, I will only get 1/3 out.
(NOTE: this car had the transmission rebuilt by Aamco about 5 years ago - or about 60,000 miles ago. I have no idea what kind of transmission fluid they used, but I am hoping by using Genuine Honda Fluid
it won't hurt or react to whatever was in there. Or that at least it should improve the quality of the fluid, if they used something cheaper).

I see it is $8.75 per quart at a Honda dealer, So I plan to do this instead of Amazon. So I have 2 choices...

1) Drain out 3 quarts-, then drive around for 15 minutes, then drain out another 3 quarts. This should get 50% total.
Then I should be good for another 30-40,000 miles? (My daughter is not a harsh driver).

2) Just drain 3 quarts, then maybe wait til Summer and drain out another 3 quarts. Then I should be good for 30-40,000 miles?

Any suggestions?
If the AAMCO was local or semi-local, maybe contact them and see what fluid they used in it when it was rebuilt. If you still have your receipt, it might be on it. It might be worth checking into before changing the fluid. I only say that, as they might have used something else, and you might want to stay with it instead.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:44 PM

OK, thanks... I'll check!

Old 11-02-2019, 04:26 PM

Well... nothing on the receipt, but when I talked to them, they said use Dexron III.
I went to O'Rielys and they found ATF Z1 for me, so I decided to just take a chance and use this.

Drained and filled twice, so I should have 55% new fluid.

If anything goes wrong within the year, I'll post here...