General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord, Wet Driver Floorboard and Water Exits Trunk When Opening It??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Default 1998 Accord, Wet Driver Floorboard and Water Exits Trunk When Opening It??

Hi I'm noticing some annoying issues with my 1998 Accord Ex 2.3L.

Driver floorboard gets really wet after a good rain or snow. I looked under the driver's dash up and to the left and noticed two of the hoses were not connected and there wasn't a hard tube in between them to be a junction?
Is this tube from a drain in the roof or wiper cowl area?

Is there a tube part number to resolve this?

The trunk pours water out the upper left area when you open it, super frustrating. Any help on these would be awesome, I don't mind going to Honda if needed but if there's easy fixes I'm capable of doing them.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the front & rear sunroof drain tubes. The fronts fit into a plastic fitting that drains outside near the door hinges. The rear fitting is into a similar fitting hidden under the bumper skin that wraps around the quarter panel.

I don't know what the "other" hose might be. If the hose broke and someone fixed it by splicing it together somehow, then you'll see one hose going up to the sunroof, and the other hose attached to that fitting shown in the picture.

For the problem in the rear, does the sunroof drain make any sense? Or could it be rainwater somehow pooling in the trunk lid & that pours out when you open it?

Old 11-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Here's the front & rear sunroof drain tubes...
For the problem in the rear, does the sunroof drain make any sense? Or could it be rainwater somehow pooling in the trunk lid & that pours out when you open it?
Are the tail lights in the trunk lid collecting water? Meaning a bad seal on the tail lights themselves? Just asking, as I've had several cars do that as they aged.
Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:54 AM

Thanks, the image A is what's in two pieces, I'll have to find that tube connector. Is there a part number for that piece?

I'll check for water in the lights, it somehow collects in the trunk deck and when you open it, pours out the opening. I don't get how it's even in the trunk deck but maybe it does collect in taillight and then that drains out on opening.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

For the front it's 70052-S30-000. I looked it up as the 4-door car because you didn't say.

So is that part broken? Or just hidden behind other stuff? When I had that car I never had to search for that tube connections so I don't know what might obstruct your view of that thing.

For the trunk deck, look all around the perimeter of the trunk lid for corrosion. Or maybe collision damage? How well does the trunk weatherstrip contact the trunk lid?

As an example a friend's Civic had been repaired back there before she bought it. A repair panel was attached in a way that had a leak in the raingutter channel around the trunk opening. Hers drained down into the trunk whenever it rained, but maybe something like that is happening somewhere around the perimeter of the lid rather than the fender.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:15 PM

1998, 4 door EX Accord, I think I got both water issues solved.

I got a new drain tube from Honda, $11

Got a 1/2" hose about 3" long from Napa

WD40 on both ends of the hose

Chopped off about a 4" piece of the new drain tube and inserted half of it in the new hose end

Slipped hose over factory drain tube, needed help by opening side fuse panel and holding it there while coming around the bottom and sliding it on

Going from the bottom, slide on the new extension into the factory rubber elbow = DONE

Swapped out the rear passenger light, noticed the top had broken away from the base and was letting water in. Needed an 8mm socket, an extension and you're good on the 3 nuts. The plastic insert easily snaps in and out on the right side.

Probably $65 total to cure both, 30 minutes labor tops to swap out both.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the story. Too often we never hear back whether it got fixed.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Thanks for the story. Too often we never hear back whether it got fixed.
Agreed. Thanks for letting us know.