General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord won't start ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1999 Accord won't start ...

I have a 1999 Accord LX Coupe (4 cylinder), It has been sitting since April and I have been starting it every week up untill it wouldn't start anymore about 2 months ago.
1) It has over half a tank of gas with stabilizer in it.
2) Battery has always been disconnected, and periodically I charge it just to make sure it hasn't drained somehow.
3) Spark plugs are pretty new.

About 3 weeks ago it did start up and I let it run for over 15 minutes, disconnected the battery and left it. When I went to fire it up again a week later it wouldn't work..... It cranks as if it wants to start but just won't. All accessories work and CEL does come on and off. Any idea what could be wrong? I really need this car for school

Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key to ON but don't turn it further to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then turn off.

If it doesn't run, it might be the main relay. Or even the pump.

Got a timing light? Use it to check for spark.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Last year when it was really hot out or I was running the car for over 3 hours it wouldn't turn on so I was sort of leaning towars the Main Relay, but the pump does kick in which is odd

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Remove intake duct and attempt to start after spraying about 5 secs of throttle body cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body entrance. If it starts briefly, somehow fuel is not getting to the engine. If no start (likely), then ignitiion is missing.

If ignition is indicated, check blk/yel wire at the distributor connector for 12V. If missing, ignition switch assy is likely problem, if 12V is available you have a ignitor or coil problem.

good luck

Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Did not start. Honda did change out my ignition (some recall) just before I started to store it and I have noticed that the green light around the key hole doesnt come on anymore (even when it does start). Is that unusual and is there a way I can check to see if everything is connected properly.

also this problem only started after I got the ignition switched

Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Read my posts a little closer. Second paragraph tells you how to confirm if ignition switch assy is problem, or distributor.

good luck

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I tried all of that and nothing of that sort was the problem

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

By that I figure that you do have 12v to the blk/yel at the dist, correct?

Have you checked for spark at the plugs, should be strong blue spark? If no spark or weak, then as suggested you'll need to test the ICM and coil.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Remove intake duct and attempt to start after spraying about 5 secs of throttle body cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body entrance. If it starts briefly, somehow fuel is not getting to the engine. If no start (likely), then ignitiion is missing.

If ignition is indicated, check blk/yel wire at the distributor connector for 12V. If missing, ignition switch assy is likely problem, if 12V is available you have a ignitor or coil problem.

good luck
Hi,

I am new here, and new at car stuff. How do you check for the 12V? How do you hook up the DMV? Do you do this with key on? Thanks and please forgive these newbie questions.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by saxophone
Hi,

I am new here, and new at car stuff. How do you check for the 12V? How do you hook up the DMV? Do you do this with key on? Thanks and please forgive these newbie questions.
Disconnect electrical connector and use VOM to check for 12V on blk/yel wire w/ keyswitch in On position. No voltage would indicate a failed ignition switch assy.

good luck

Quick Reply: 1999 Accord won't start ...