General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Honda Accord LX (V6) Turn Signal Problem (Stays on, no blinking when lights on)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 06:37 PM
Default 1999 Honda Accord LX (V6) Turn Signal Problem (Stays on, no blinking when lights on)

I noticed the other day that my front driver's side turn signal bulb went out after hearing it blink fast when using the left signal. I replaced with a new bulb and it seemed to work fine but it was daylight. Then last night I went to turn on my lights and both front and back driver's side signals just turn on, no blinking, whether I use the left signal switch or not. When I turn the lights off, both left side signals work fine, but the dash and console lights blink on and off opposite of when the signal blinks. Right side signals work fine still both with lights off and on.

I did some research last night, and noticed the most popular fix was the signal/hazard relay/flasher. I replaced that with a new one, and had the same problem. I was then told it's probably the signal switch. I went and got one of those and replaced it, and the same thing occurs. (Actually, with the NEW signal switch, when I turn the high beams on, they come on, but the light doesn't show on the dash anymore.) The last thing I've seen if the first two don't work is there's a bad ground somewhere. I don't even know where to begin looking for that. When I asked a mechanic friend, he claimed that if there was a bad ground I wouldn't get light at all. I respectfully disagreed and left it at that.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on what the deal is with this thing? What I thought should be an easy $4 bulb swap is turning into a nightmare LOL. Thanks for any help guys!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

What happens with those bulbs when you turn on the hazards?

Old 08-11-2022, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What happens with those bulbs when you turn on the hazards?
They work fine with the lights off. With the lights on, all four would stay on, no blinking.

I've figured it out, and did the relay and switch for no reason, smh. I noticed the original bulb is a dual filament, and the one I was using was a single filament. I knew the entire time I needed an 1157A so never thought to double check after I bought the bulbs and did the relay and switch. I'm an idiot lol. I just noticed the dual filament on the old bulb while looking at it and checked the package on the new ones. Sure enough, I messed up and bought 1156A (Single filament version).

Funny thing is, a mechanic buddy of mine's first question was "Did you get the right bulb? Sounds like you just don't have the right bulb." In which my response was "Yes! I'm not an idiot, it's the right bulb!" LOL! Guess I am an idiot after all.

Last edited by Sn4ppyDr3w; 08-12-2022 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad it was a simple fix and thanks for posting the results. I've had a few learning experiences in my DIY work as well. Some of mine turned into much more expensive repairs! I'm sure I'll still have those moments as well.