General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord EX 3 V6 3.0 Alarm Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:12 PM
Default 2000 Accord EX 3 V6 3.0 Alarm Issues

2000 Accord EX, 3 liter V6 engine. 140,000 miles.

I've checked a few other similar threads on this, but not seeing/finding a solution yet.

Factory car alarm goes off around dawn almost daily, esp. when humid and cold. Alarm only stops when I unlock the driver's side door with the key. Then, it goes off again. Sometimes running (idling, not driving) the car until the temperature gauge goes up to "halfway" stops the situation from repeating.

Original Honda keys. Original Honda key fob does not stop the alarm when this happens. Brand new Group 24 battery in the car (as of last week). No aftermarket accessories. Phone charger unplugged from cigarette lighter socket. Nothing is attached on the OBD-II port.

A visual inspection shows that nothing is unusual with the car (i.e. windows are not broken, no nearby animals/no footprints in snow, etc.). Key fob not in a pocket to potentially trigger panic alarm. All doors are closed, and no lights show on the dash for any door or trunk lid being ajar.

Any ideas on how to fix this or override this part of the security system, or possibly what could be causing the system to trigger?

​​​​​​

Old 03-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Try unplugging the electrical connector to the hood latch and see if the problem goes away.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Try unplugging the electrical connector to the hood latch and see if the problem goes away.
Where would one locate this connector, and will unplugging it affect anything else in the car for operation?

Old 03-19-2022, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

The connector should be near the hood latch on the radiator support. The connector may be hidden by a cover. The switch in the connector is to set off the security system if someone tries to force the hood open with the car alarmed, so unplugging won't cause any unintentional issues.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:47 PM

The connector should be near the hood latch on the radiator support. The connector may be hidden by a cover. The switch in the connector is to set off the security system if someone tries to force the hood open with the car alarmed, so unplugging won't cause any unintentional issues.
Resending, as I'm not seeing my reply with images.

Is the plug visible on any of these three images? If so which image and where?

Top view of the hood latch.

USA passenger side view of a plug, but the plug is located below the horns.

USA driver side view of the hood latch, the horns, and the below-horns plug.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

In your first picture, is that a wire harness just below the spring?

Old 03-20-2022, 01:17 AM

In your first picture, is that a wire harness just below the spring?
I don't see a plug on it, but that is some kind of a wire. I also am not sure where it attaches.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I believe it attaches to the latch towards the bottom. It may be hidden under a cover. You may need to mark the latch and remove to access the connector.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:21 PM

I believe it attaches to the latch towards the bottom. It may be hidden under a cover. You may need to mark the latch and remove to access the connector.
A brighter light outside allowed me to see the plug, but the plug was not allowing me to disconnect it, even with the hood latch's plastic cover removed.

Note for those reading this-the plastic cover around the hood latch is held on with one plastic fastener on the lower-right side (driver's side) which is difficult to reach, but can eventually be pried apart with a screwdriver and enough desire to remove it.

The plug (FOUND IT-hooray!!!), covered in muck, and unwilling to come apart for me.

The plug is located behind a metal support, and seems to only be easily reachable with the radiator removed.

After trying a number of different methods to get the plug to disconnect, I disconnected the battery, and then cut the "shrink cover" and the two wires (one is black, and one is possibly yellow with a stripe on it) between the plug and the bottom of the hood latch (which is where they seem to be connected someplace near the bottom of the latch), and covered them (hopefully well enough) with wire caps.

Clipped wires and caps, looking downward from the hood latch. Note the plug to the left of the caps

Hopefully this will work similarly to disconnecting the plug.

Last edited by HondaFan1200; 03-22-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:21 PM
Default Update so far

Well, so far, so good. No repeats of the alarm going off as of yet, and it's been humid/wet/cold/dry for weather. Thank you for the assistance!