General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord rough idle and heavy oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can somebody please tell me which of these timing marks is TDC?

I read about the white and the red ones but there's no color left on any of these.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The one all by itself is TDC. The two close together are for checking spark timing.
So I guess it's time to pull the head and see what's going on. Burned valves, carbon build up?
Try adjusting the valves first, before you pull the head. You may get lucky and find that the exhaust valves are just adjusted way too tight and not yet burned.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the info on the mark.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to loosen then up and check compression again and then readjust if they seal up.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Drive it for awhile after adjusting the valves on the loose side of the spec. If they've been tight there's bound to be carbon built up on the seats and valves and it may take awhile for that carbon to get pounded off. Not a fan of pouring liquid in the intake but in this case a top end cleaner of choice sucked thru the brake line booster line might help get rid of the carbon.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked the valves today and the gap is perfect. If the valves were being held slightly open by deposits on the valves or seats I would expect there to be an increased gap between the valve and the rocker. If the rocker were out of adjustment and holding the valve open then there would be no gap at all.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

OK, the Honda is back on the road and running great. The head gasket was blown between 2 and 3 and the new PCV valve seems to have taken care of the oil issue. That intake is one huge pain to get off being that it's on the rear of the engine and has a bunch of electrical connectors up under it along with coolant lines too.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Congratulations on job well done!

Did you rebuild the head or just install new HG?

Yes, removing the intake is a pain (same on earlier Accords) and requires a lot of lying underneath the car.

How was access to intake manifold bolts/nuts?

good luck

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Brought the head in and had it checked, resurfaced and new guides put in. The access on the bottom, behind the engine is miserable. Likely better with a lift where you don't have to contort as much and can move around better. I've done about five or six in the past on different vehicles and this was the first one to seem almost insurmountable. Next time I'd just bring it in and pay the premium. It's also now got a new timing belt, balancing belt and water pump too.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by curtmaxwall
The code 1399 stands for "ignition misfire detected". If engine consumes more oil than check for the compression leakage and check the piston ring wear. If ring on the piston wear, it also started consuming the oil in a quantity as shown by you.
How about you read the whole thread before responding?

The OP has already solved his problem by having the head rebuilt and replacing the blown head gasket.