General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord SE no Crank, No Start, Starter constant on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Default 2000 Accord SE no Crank, No Start, Starter constant on

My sons car has been having problems with not cranking initially when I turn the key. I wait and try again and it starts. It happens almost every time. All lites come on and all accessories work but it will not crank. I had the alternator and battery checked and they were ok. Yesterday it wouldnt start and I heard a noise under the hood. Turned out to be the Starter was engaging and heating up so I disconnected the neg battery cable and it stopped. Re-connected and it starter started to engage again. I beat on it with a wrench and small hammer. Still engaged. Could it be the relay or something like that? hopefully the starter isn't fried from running so long. Anybody know what is wrong? Help me please.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For the starter to be constantly on, the solenoid (relay) contacts must be frozen w/ the plunger contacts. This would also account for earlier no turnover/no start.

New starter is most likely needed. Check that 12v start signal is being received on the small wire connecting to the solenoid. If not, there may be an ignition switch assy problem.

good luck

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Don't have a manual. Is the solenoid in the proximity of the Starter Motor? Looks to me that it is just to the rear of it. Is that correct?

Old 12-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Solenoid is a short cylinder attached to the starter and generally considered part of starter.

good luck

Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Default Solved 2000 Accord SE no crank no start starter constant on

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Solenoid is a short cylinder attached to the starter and generally considered part of starter.

good luck
It turned out to be simply the starter. Bought a rebuilt at AutoZone, put it in and and away we went. Thanks for the input on this issue.