General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up

My 2000 Honda Accord from brakes are locking up after awhile driving just replace the front brake pads and rotors put new fluid in and bled the brakes and car drives fine and brakes fine and then after sometime driving the front brakes just locked up had to really push the gas pedal in the car barely moves brakes were smoking by the time i got home. What could it be?

Old 09-08-2020, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Not much if this is the front brakes. Either the caliper is stuck for some reason or the brake pads are wedged into the caliper bracket.

Pull the wheel, unbolt the caliper on the bottom bolt. Does the caliper swing up or is it stuck on the brake pads? Can you slide the brake pads in the caliper bracket with a slight drag?

Old 09-08-2020, 01:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Not much if this is the front brakes. Either the caliper is stuck for some reason or the brake pads are wedged into the caliper bracket.

Pull the wheel, unbolt the caliper on the bottom bolt. Does the caliper swing up or is it stuck on the brake pads? Can you slide the brake pads in the caliper bracket with a slight drag?
I will check that. it's weird it seems to me that both front brakes fully lock up once the brakes get hot or just from driving 10 minutes or more and after that I let it sit when they where locked and smoking then Tried to Drive again and they weren't stuck locked up anymore.

Last edited by Casey Lembo; 09-08-2020 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Casey Lembo
I will check that. it's weird it seems to me that both front brakes fully lock up once the brakes get hot or just from driving 10 minutes or more and after that I let it sit when they where locked and smoking then Tried to Drive again and they weren't stuck locked up anymore.
I've run into this on other models of cars and trucks, and what I've found is it's time to replace the brake hoses, as they've collapsed internally.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I've run into this on other models of cars and trucks, and what I've found is it's time to replace the brake hoses, as they've collapsed internally.
It sounds like the hoses to me also. I had a friend that had a 99 accord and paid shops to fix the issue. After replacing almost the whole system she gave up. I asked her to let me try replacing the hoses and it fixed the issue.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Another vote for replacing the hoses. They trap fluid in the calipers; when that fluid heats up & expands that "applies" the brakes.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:31 PM

If all was fine before you replaced pads and rotors i would first double chk your work make sure you installed everything properly
also chk the adjustment on the brake booster rod i have seen that more than once but usually after replacing brake master with a cheap non honda one ,,, ,but i am leaning toward bad hose(s) as well and i am assuming that you used the correct brake fluid ,,

Last edited by nomad2020; 09-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the help replaced both front brake hoses and drove it the longer than before and not issue so far.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Brakes are still locking up both front calipers lock up. Drives fine them then all of the sudden the lock up getting worse the hotter it gets. Its got to be something either with master cylinder or abs I don't know.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Casey Lembo
Brakes are still locking up both front calipers lock up. Drives fine them then all of the sudden the lock up getting worse the hotter it gets. Its got to be something either with master cylinder or abs I don't know.
Have you check to make sure it's not the caliper that's locking up to being over heated because the hoses were bad for too long. Take the caliper off and press them in to see if it's hard.

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up