General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Casey Lembo
I didn't personally swap it buy the VIN number it says it had a 2.261414832L engine in it
Now I'm confused; a few posts ago you said it had been swapped from a 3.0 liter V6 to a 2.3 liter I4, now you're saying the VIN tags the car as a 4-cylinder model. Am I missing something?

Old 10-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Now I'm confused; a few posts ago you said it had been swapped from a 3.0 liter V6 to a 2.3 liter I4, now you're saying the VIN tags the car as a 4-cylinder model. Am I missing something?
I never said I swapped it I bought it that way so I didn't know for sure thought had a V6

Old 10-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default 2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up

No I haven't since I would take how to take off the master cylinder. I'm considering that as the issue
maybe threres negative clearance between the brake booster and master cylinder. Causing the brakes to lock up.
If the pushrod is adjusted too long, that can lock up the brakes, but I'm not sure how that would happen only when it gets warm. Seems like it would be a problem from the beginning.

But maybe it's worth a shot. There's an actual procedure for adjusting it, but a ghetto way to check is just shorten the pushrod adjustment by maybe 1.mm to see if it works.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If the pushrod is adjusted too long, that can lock up the brakes, but I'm not sure how that would happen only when it gets warm. Seems like it would be a problem from the beginning.

But maybe it's worth a shot. There's an actual procedure for adjusting it, but a ghetto way to check is just shorten the pushrod adjustment by maybe 1.mm to see if it works.
That's what I was thinking the master cylinder doesn't look that old really but it is a Honda one
so you would think if it is OEM you wouldn't have to adjust anything but yeah I might have Adjust it shorter. Everyone saying calipers but it's a weird how they both lock up same time and get worse. Everything to cool down and they start working again.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was thinking the master cylinder doesn't look that old really but it is a Honda one
so you would think if it is OEM you wouldn't have to adjust anything but yeah I might have Adjust it shorter. Everyone saying calipers but it's a weird how they both lock up same time and get worse. Everything to cool down and they start working again.
I still say frozen calipers. Honda calipers are well known for corrosion, especially if the car hasn't been driven a lot. When I had my 2001 Accord EX I had to replace all four calipers because of corrosion which lead to overheated brakes.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I still say frozen calipers. Honda calipers are well known for corrosion, especially if the car hasn't been driven a lot. When I had my 2001 Accord EX I had to replace all four calipers because of corrosion which lead to overheated brakes.
I replaced all my 07 accord calipers due to the same issue. I'm not driving it much and when I released the e-brake they wouldn't release until I started driving (5 speed). Took a look and the rears needed replacing so I decided to do a whole system refresh.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Put 2 new calipers on the front drove fine once and now there locking up again it wasn't the calipers I guess idk what's going on maybe a computer issue
the SRS light is on and stays on. I'm about to give up not finding any answers to my problem!!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Put 2 new calipers on the front drove fine once and now there locking up again it wasn't the calipers I guess idk what's going on maybe a computer issue
the SRS light is on and stays on. I'm about to give up not finding any answers to my problem!!
Computer issues cannot cause brakes to lock up on a 2000 Accord.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Computer issues cannot cause brakes to lock up on a 2000 Accord.
well then is has too be the ABS or Master cylinder.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok let me get this straight. You have changed the brakes, calipers and hoses and you're still have locked brakes? Something is not right. Your abs light should only effect the abs system, unless the abs system is engaging then it's not your issues. Did you bled the system when changing the calipers? Have you changed your half shafts before and put the non abs shafts in?

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Accord sedan ex front brakes locking up