General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 seatbelt receiver

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Default 2000 seatbelt receiver

Hi, I have been having trouble with SRS light on my car coming on. I know how to reset and think I have narrowed it down to driver side seat belt receiver. I noticed that sometimes when unbuckling that the warning light for seat belt would not come on, thus triggering the SRS light. I have removed the receiver, and attempting to open up for inspection without destroying it. I found to push pins that I have pushed in as for as possible, but still seems welded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I never tried to open on of these up. It is possible that the switch inside is stuck due to dust/grime buildup over time. You may want to spray WD-40 into the mechanism and try to work it loose. It is quick and simple enough to attempt.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I never tried to open on of these up. It is possible that the switch inside is stuck due to dust/grime buildup over time. You may want to spray WD-40 into the mechanism and try to work it loose. It is quick and simple enough to attempt.
Thanks, I have tried this. I am thinking it could be either REAL dirty or the switch could need adjusting. All I can find on replacement is on ebay and used. Is it possible to jump the wiring and make it show computer it is always connected? It works correctly 95% of the time.

Last edited by gary85_; 11-30-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

The drivers seatbelt "latch" is a pretty common issue as far as tripping the SRS.

As PA suggested, many have been able to clean it and get it working again. Some have just replaced it - dealer websites show it for $50-$70 (04816-S84-A30ZB example, don't know the color code for your car). Some have actually been able to get the dealer to replace it under warranty.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I tried playing the warranty card earlier this year and the dealer didn't bite; I ended up buying a new unit over the internet for about $50. Problem solved.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks everyone! I was able to disassemble and noticed a few things. 1st, the pins I mentioned were not supposed to be pushed in, rather pulled out. 2nd the micro-switch had some movement to it, so I epoxied it where it would not move. 3rd, the switch is a sealed unit but did have a metal arm that triggered it's button. I bent this arm to insure pressure and release of button. I have pics if anyone wants to try this fix themselves, but the sad news is, after re-installation the buckle is still not fixed. Apparently it is the micro-switch itself that is worn.
I will be chasing that part number after all. Can you suggest a site online to order from? Or should I call dealer tomorrow?
Thanks again to all!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Update: After some more reading on this switch, I found this article:

Seatbeltswitch

I said "WTH...give it a try old man!"
Proceeded removing buckle and taking back apart. I worked the switch with finger and it seemed to click normally but decided to rip the rubber from around button off anyway. Re-installed and everything seems fine. Could not get the seatbelt light to flutter one time. I know that the seal for the switch is compromised but now at least I can get cleaner into it. I promise to re-post as soon as it fails. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks again everyone.

Gary P.
2000 Honda Accord EX V6
94,000 original miles

I hate to be cheap, but it's a virtue handed down.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

A few days late but glad you got it going

Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 PM

hey all,
What exactly do I need to have with me to get the dealer to fix this. I sent my daughter down there to give it a whirl but she came back with a 900 dollar timing belt quote. Im sure I can do better but some ammo wouldn't hurt.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Unless you're the original owner I rather doubt the dealer will replace the belt receiver for free, and even then it would be a long shot. The receiver is about $50 and it is real easy to replace; probably best if you do it yourself.

As for the timing belt, if it is due (and it sounds like it is), $900 isn't a bad price from a dealer.

Quick Reply: 2000 seatbelt receiver