General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 seatbelt receiver

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

For a long time Honda warrantied seatbelt components "for the life of the car". Sometime in the early 2000s they changed that to a time limit (xx years regardless of miles). Got the warranty booklet that comes with the owners manual when you buy the new car? If it is a warranty item, then it shouldn't matter if you're the original owner.

There's a federal requirement for the seatbelt warranty to be at least a certain number of years, regardless of mileage. That doesn't apply for Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.

But the trick is whether or not it's a defect/warranty item.
- Spill coffee in there, that's not warranty.
- There was something about the motorized seatbelts (before airbags). Whether the motor quits in the forward or the back end of it's travel?
- If the car has a "salvage title" then it's beyond the "life of the car" so no warranty.
- I can't remember every possibility, since I didn't go through the process.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
For a long time Honda warrantied seatbelt components "for the life of the car". Sometime in the early 2000s they changed that to a time limit (xx years regardless of miles). Got the warranty booklet that comes with the owners manual when you buy the new car? If it is a warranty item, then it shouldn't matter if you're the original owner.

There's a federal requirement for the seatbelt warranty to be at least a certain number of years, regardless of mileage. That doesn't apply for Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.

But the trick is whether or not it's a defect/warranty item.
- Spill coffee in there, that's not warranty.
- There was something about the motorized seatbelts (before airbags). Whether the motor quits in the forward or the back end of it's travel?
- If the car has a "salvage title" then it's beyond the "life of the car" so no warranty.
- I can't remember every possibility, since I didn't go through the process.
What my local Honda dealer told me was due to the fact that the sensor does not in any way impact the seat belt's ability to protect the passenger, the sensor is not covered under any "life of vehicle" type of warranty.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Default seatbelt receiver and SRS

Just a simple update. The switch has worked flawlessly since my last post. Usually I would have SRS light on at least twice by now. Fingers still crossed, but I do believe the rubber boot surrounding the switch pin was the cause of random glitches. Now that it is removed, there seems no friction slowing switches operation. Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

From here ther are a few choices. Seems like "trying" the dealer is out, even though I've read threads in the "last year" where others were able to get it done. You can live with the somewhat ugly looking latch.....or see if you can find a replacement from a bone yard - hope it is good - or a new one from a dealership.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM

I decided to just go with a new part. Found one online for 75.00 bucks. I figure Ill put the new part on and operate on the old one so I have a spare in case it flakes out.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by i4ex
I decided to just go with a new part. Found one online for 75.00 bucks. I figure Ill put the new part on and operate on the old one so I have a spare in case it flakes out.
My understanding is the new part has a slight redesign so the problem will not happen again. When I swapped mine out last spring I just threw the old part in the trash.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM

even better! found my part on hondapartsnow.com

Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 AM

I guess I'm old school. Duct tape and tie wire til it just won't work anymore.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gary85_
I guess I'm old school. Duct tape and tie wire til it just won't work anymore.
I might have been inclined to go that route had the new belt been $500, but I think I paid less than $50 so it was an easy decision.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM

that's a lot of beer money. lol

Quick Reply: 2000 seatbelt receiver