General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 seatbelt receiver

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 AM

My main objective for following up was for those that like to fix things and not throw them away. That's the way I was raised, make something out of nothing. Sure it would have been a simple click of a mouse to have a brand new one at my door, but what fun is that? Every since I was young, I tore into things and seen how they work. To me that's what makes it fun. If i had the money, I would just take it to a shop and let them do it. You spend $50-$75 just for a part now days, for something that is not broken. I fixed mine because it bugged me, not because I had to. Tinkering is what drives me to do things others care little about. If your on this forum to learn, you easily can. I have learned so much about my car from here that I have repaired many items that a dealer would charge ungodly amounts to fix and this is just in the past year.
Yes, my car is a 2000 model but with learning comes more life.
I appreciate all the responds to my questions and thank all that contribute to the old way of fixing things. I know sometimes it's impossible, but don't throw money away until you've given all you got. Good luck all!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

One other wrinkle vis-à-vis the seatbelt receiver DIY job; state inspections. Here in New Hampshire a car will not pass inspection if A) an SRS light is displayed on the dash, or B) a seatbelt receiver has been tampered with (which will be evident by the duct tape).

Obviously every state is different, but a new part is the only option for some of us.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Not to jack a thread, but I have an occasional srs light on my 96, is this the same part causing my light to come on? If so there are alot of 5th gens in the local pick n pull, thanks

Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 PM

As for as inspections, what I fixed was on the inside of the buckle. The buckle disassembles with no evidence of tampering. Goes back together like new. No tape or wire was used, that was just a cliche.
If your SRS light comes on and off on it's on then you probably are facing a different issue. When my light came on I had to manually reset using method described in another thread.
When unbuckling your belt, pay attention to your seatbelt fastened indicator. If there is any delay in the light, this will trigger a fault in your SRS.
Hope this helps and clears the air.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
Not to jack a thread, but I have an occasional srs light on my 96, is this the same part causing my light to come on? If so there are alot of 5th gens in the local pick n pull, thanks
What code(s) are you getting? Use the service connector under/behind the glove box and count/watch the flashes from the SRS light.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

"Gary" - I'm much the same way , the things I've done in the past would make many laugh. Now when it comes to true safety, never cheap out (brakes, steering, ect) - there is no reason to put yourself and others at risk.

I've used super glue to hold plastic parts of window regulators together, when a new one was ~$30

Old 12-14-2014, 07:12 AM

I'm with ha gary. I buy my duct tape at Sam's club!(20 pack or something). But after spending all day jamming the spring back into the rear door lock mechanism, I really needed a quick fix on this one. Besides, it's my daughters car so I want it to work for sure if need be. Anyhow I appreciate all the advice I got from everyone here.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 PM

I totally agree with poorman 100%. Please do not bypass or jerry rig somthing that is or would end up being a safety issue.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Default Quick update

best 75 bucks I've ever spent! Took about 20 minutes to replace the part and clear the code. No dash lights for a week now..whoohoo!! Btw, yeah, pitch the old part.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by i4ex
best 75 bucks I've ever spent! Took about 20 minutes to replace the part and clear the code. No dash lights for a week now..whoohoo!! Btw, yeah, pitch the old part.
Glad you got it going

Quick Reply: 2000 seatbelt receiver