General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 seatbelt receiver

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by woody31
Not to jack a thread, but I have an occasional srs light on my 96, is this the same part causing my light to come on? If so there are alot of 5th gens in the local pick n pull, thanks
Are you getting a EGR engine code intermittently with the SRS light? There is a little known issue where due to voltage drop at startup the SRS light will come on due to low voltage, but it has nothing to do with the SRS. This is something the I stumbled across by chance and will not divulge the cure at this point as some of the local dealers have been wrapping their heads around it and I personally solved the problem. Needless to say we get business out of it.

Last edited by Turtlehead; 12-22-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fixed typo's
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM

SRS front bags were mandated for all car made after 1998 so you have to fix it. Cars made prior to this date are subject to fact that SRS was an "add-on" even though Honda was installing them standard after 1989. An option add-on that is not mandated by the Federal Government in most States should not cause the car to fail inspection. I recommend people research their local laws when items like this come up because the inspection station/mechanic may not be follow local regulations or simply may not be aware.

Needless to say, if you have an SRS issue resolve it for you and your families sake. I under stand that your car was built after the Fed's mandated front SRS so it needed to be resolved, this post is tailored towards posts above regarding inspection failure for cars built before 1999 and is an FYI for people to be aware. Please note that I have not personally read the Federal regulations and that I do not conduct inspections, but this is based on another local inspection station where the person used to work for the State and worked on/inspected State vehicles.

I have a feeling I just opened Pandora's box! Cheers!

Last edited by Turtlehead; 12-22-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed typo as usual...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Are you getting a EGR engine code intermittently with the SRS light. There is a little know issue where due to voltage drop at startup the SRS light will come on due to low voltage, but it has nothing to do with the SRS. The is something the we stumbled across by chance and will not divulge at this point as some of the local dealers have been wrapping their heads around it and I personally solved the problem. Needless to say we get business out of it.
Humm. I knew this (low voltage) would trip the ABS, 5th gen's mostly, but can't say that I've seen this trip the SRS. Learn something new all the time.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Unfortunately it is a hard one to diagnose but it is uncommon. Basically if the SRS like stays on at start (which will be intermittent if clearing the code after the SRS light comes on) and sometimes the EGR code will turn up, but not always with the SRS light, it is usually a higher voltage draw from a "component I will not name" within the EGR system. This for those that are wondering lowers voltage from the start-up mode of the SRS, thus the SRS system start-up diagnostic mode senses the drop in voltage and shuts the system off, ergo the SRS light comes on and stays on. I have only seen this combination of symptoms a few times, but when I do I immediately become suspicious of that particular EGR component. For those on this site, of which there are many, that understand the sensitivity of the SRS and how critical the start-up check is for the system, you will understand. For those that are following a good set of self diagnostic procedures always remember there comes a time to think outside the box.

Off context, I also have a fix for "weird combination" of check engine codes for 1998 generation Civics which is a wiring harness issue and usually only takes time and some electrical tape to fix. The Honda dealers in the area still have not figured out the issue, but lucky for them people with the older generation Civics typically aren't bringing them in. In addition there has also never been a Honda service bulletin regarding "weird check engine light code combinations."

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM

I lived with the SRS light for a couple years, resetting it and having it come back on within minutes. Finally got around to reading the code which came up as the all-to-familiar drivers seat belt latch. Took it apart and removed the little rubber seal on the micro switch and squirted some contact cleaner in it. Worked it 20 or 30 times, blew the contact cleaner out and reassembled. Cleared the code and haven't seen the light again.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by choffman41
I lived with the SRS light for a couple years, resetting it and having it come back on within minutes. Finally got around to reading the code which came up as the all-to-familiar drivers seat belt latch. Took it apart and removed the little rubber seal on the micro switch and squirted some contact cleaner in it. Worked it 20 or 30 times, blew the contact cleaner out and reassembled. Cleared the code and haven't seen the light again.
Sounds like a fun afternoon

Glad the cleaning worked for you