General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 accord broken cruise control cable tab on throttle pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Default 2001 accord broken cruise control cable tab on throttle pulley

Hi everyone

I recently did a cleaning on the throttle body, so I had to remove it and that meant of course removing the throttle and cruise control cables. Upon removing the cruise control cable, the little tab/slot where the head of cable sits broke off due to the plastic being so old and brittle... Great design... None the less, my temporary solution was to literally super glue the head of the cable on to where it sits on the pulley. My next step was going to fabricate some sort of fitting to go around the head of the cable so it'll sit more snug on the pulley and then to use some jb kwik weld to make sure it sticks and stays properly... Worst case is it breaks off and I don't have cruise control, which isn't a big deal...

I'm just wondering if others have had this problem before, and what you're solution was. Buying an entire throttle body assembly seems a bit ridiculous

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to. You can probably see in the picture that the head has nothing to hold onto as chunks of plastic are broken around it

Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I remember seeing someone use a zip-tie to keep that cable in place. Can't remember if they went around the plastic piece sort of behind the cable, or somehow went around the edge to hold the cable in place.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 01accord23
Hi everyone

I recently did a cleaning on the throttle body, so I had to remove it and that meant of course removing the throttle and cruise control cables. Upon removing the cruise control cable, the little tab/slot where the head of cable sits broke off due to the plastic being so old and brittle... Great design... None the less, my temporary solution was to literally super glue the head of the cable on to where it sits on the pulley. My next step was going to fabricate some sort of fitting to go around the head of the cable so it'll sit more snug on the pulley and then to use some jb kwik weld to make sure it sticks and stays properly... Worst case is it breaks off and I don't have cruise control, which isn't a big deal...

I'm just wondering if others have had this problem before, and what you're solution was. Buying an entire throttle body assembly seems a bit ridiculous

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to. You can probably see in the picture that the head has nothing to hold onto as chunks of plastic are broken around it

Salvage yard/pick n pull for a good used TB so you can take the parts off it?