General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Honda Accord 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 04:27 PM
Default 2001 Honda Accord 4cyl

I have a 2001 honda accord 4 cylinder. I had to replace the cam, crank and aux seals and I also replaced the water pump and timing belts. I thought I put the camshaft pully back correctly and when I put everything on car wont turn over. Which makes me think my timing is off.

I have the car raised up on jack stands on the front. I then put the lower timing belt cover on and placed the balancer in place to line up the mark on the timing belt cover. The cam pully was off. I pulled #1 spark plug and used a screw driver and i turned the crank to get TDC. So my balancer is lined up correctly.

However for the pully even though it's a tdc tje mark on the pully itself is off. I see the marks on the valvue cover of where the oully should be (using the word up on it and i see the 5 degrees before its at)

so im.guessing even though the word up on the pully is not correct but the engine is at tdc I'm going need to remove the pully and put it back properly so it is lined up.
Also the key for the balancer how much does it stick out. Meaning before I put the balancer on the key is almost flush with both pullys is it supposed to overhang or be flush before I place the balancer on and tighten the bolt?

I do have spark and fuel and air i just cant fire it. Which makes to believe its timing. Any thoughts?

I'm kind of new so I read and watched tons of videos aboit this process. So if I say the wrong term, my bad. It's my sister's car and I was just trying to help her with all these leaks she has and honda quoted her a huge amount to fix. Aside from this the car is running great. Thanks

Old 06-19-2024, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

When you say the car won't turn over, what do you mean? Is this a crank/no-start or a no-crank/no-start?

Old 06-22-2024, 05:37 PM

I meant that when I turn the key it's turning over but won't start. You can hear it's trying to start.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:51 PM

So made sure (the best I can that it's at tdc) I have everything lined up the best but its idling high between 1000-1100 rpms. I don't want to put it back together and then have to tear it apart. I did a video of it and then seeing the rpms inside car. I jist feel im.so close. Car is still raised in front stands. The other day i was able to get it to fire and it was idling very poorly. So I readjusted everything and I found all the marks but it still seems im.off

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
20240623_201632.mp3 (1.94 MB, 3 views)