General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Accord Sedan 4 cylinder, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by brainneeded
it made a slight ticking before it failed. once it failed, i was unable to accelerate and once the car was off i was unable to start it. it cracked in a circular manner. i'll take a picture if they haven't thrown it out yet.
Thanks for clearing it up.

That must be some really thin metal to crack like that [please don't take that the wrong way as in I'm not doubting], as I have ran plenty of flexplate/automatic transmission though some pretty powerful engines, and never had one crack like that.

My only automatic performance car is my wifes 65 Mustang fastback with a supercharged 347 engine, and an old 1970 flexplate attached to the tc.

At full boost it puts out a little over 500hp, and not one problem with the flexplate. I'll have to ask this question on some of my other car forums.

Thanks again for the update.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 PM

I just thought of something else. I know its kinda late, but since you had to pull the trans did you get a new torque convertor? IIRC, your car has a lot of miles, and the chances are good that the TC hasn't been replaced.

Also, I posted the question about cracked fp on some of my other car forums, and it would seem that there are a few cars that have issues with the fp. Usually the problem stems from using metal that is too thin [I think some chebby V6 engines had this problem].

I did find out some interesting info, and that is flex plates, "flex" so that when the tc balloons [all tc's balloon slightly at some point in the rpms]. So the fp has to be made thin enough so that it will give slightly when this ballooning occures, but remain strong enough that it don't crack, like the fp in your Honda.