General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Honda Accord coupe V6 J30a motor cranking but not turning over and starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 11:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 Honda Accord coupe V6 J30a motor cranking but not turning over and starting

PLEASE HELP. I’ve replaced so much on this car it’s not even funny. It has been 2/3 months since my issues have started… At first it was merely an intermediate starting problem.. so I instantly thought it was the signs of a fuel pump beginning to go on me, had that replaced along with the fuel damper, fuel pump pigtail, fuel pump regulator and the fuel pump relay(probably leaving more parts out too!) so i know there should be no fuel pressure problems or fuel inefficiencies… I also had noticed an electrical problem in my car too. The ignition switch was done in the past AND WAS A MESS. From the wiring that was TAPED and spliced poorly to the unorganized matter it was put away so that the steering column was pulling on the wiring every left turn. I had a professional guy redo all of that and redo the relays so that I knew it would be done right. All that wiring is now snug and done right along with the fuel system being near mint. Put new spark plugs in the car, replaced several sensors(crank, map, Iac, cam, vtec solenoid…etc) I even put in a new starter motor because my old one used to lock up on my occasionally. The car is PERFECTLY IN TIME, cylinder #1 is on the money in top dead center… So the wiring and electrical should be right, the fuel is good and the car is on time. Cranking but NO START. Idk what it could be anymore man. Done several tests on the power to the coil packs with the key in the on position too. I get power to the plugs that plug into the coil pack but I still don’t think I’m getting spark. What could keep me from getting spark? It can’t be the coil packs themselves because then all 6 would have to had gone at the same time. It should still start even with 1 or 2 bad… next thought could be ECM but that’s a pain in the *** and I wanted to see if anyone else would know anything about my problem before I do so. Not to mention the fuses are all good too… please help!!

Old 08-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

You mention you had a lot of wires spliced under the dash. Is there any chance you have an aftermarket security system installed on your car?

Old 08-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You mention you had a lot of wires spliced under the dash. Is there any chance you have an aftermarket security system installed on your car?
I don’t think so.. Pretty sure it’s the one that came with the car.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see why wires were spliced under the dash unless something aftermarket or an accessory was installed. You had the wires cleaned up, but look under the driver's dash and follow any wires that don't look original to a control box that may be a security system.

If you have a code read, check for codes.

Does the starter turn the engine when you turn the key to start the car, but the engine will not run on its own? Or does nothing happen? Trying to figure out if this is a starter issue, or engine issue.

Based on your description, you really haven't eliminated fuel or spark as a culprit. The quickest way for fuel is to remove the snorkel from the throttle body, spray starting fluid into the intake while an assistant tries to start the engine. If the engine runs (even poorly) this will indicate a fuel problem.

For spark, you can remove a coil plug from the engine, use a spark tester, then have an assistant try to start the car while you look at the spark tester for spark.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't see why wires were spliced under the dash unless something aftermarket or an accessory was installed. You had the wires cleaned up, but look under the driver's dash and follow any wires that don't look original to a control box that may be a security system.

Does the starter turn the engine when you turn the key to start the car, but the engine will not run on its own? Or does nothing happen? Trying to figure out if this is a starter issue, or engine issue.

Based on your description, you really haven't eliminated fuel or spark as a culprit. The quickest way for fuel is to remove the snorkel from the throttle body, spray starting fluid into the intake while an assistant tries to start the engine. If the engine runs (even poorly) this will indicate a fuel problem.

For spark, you can remove a coil plug from the engine, use a spark tester, then have an assistant try to start the car while you look at the spark tester for spark.
wires were spliced because the ignition switch was changed at some point before I owned it and was done poorly. Also had a remote start put into it. It’s not a starter issue, car cranks but no start. We’ve tested both fuel problems and spark doing EXACTLY what you said already multiple times. We just get inconsistent spark to the coil packs. The plugs to the packs get power when the key is in the on position, but when we start and crank it over no power goes to the coil pack. It has to be the lack of consistent spark, but why are the coil packs getting inconsistent power?

Old 08-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Do you think it could be a bad cam sensor that is throwing off my spark to the coil packs?

Old 08-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

How are you testing for voltage on the blk/yel wire to the coils? Your observation of power loss can be caused by your volt meter or test light setup.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How are you testing for voltage on the blk/yel wire to the coils? Your observation of power loss can be caused by your volt meter or test light setup.
Yes exactly what I’m testing… and if it were just me and my setup that’s getting invalid results, the car would start because then there’s no power problem… Took apart my carpet today and located my ecm… the wires that I’m losing power to are the exact same ones that go to my ecm… have a feeling it could be my ecm unit

Old 08-01-2021, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

So the blk/yel wire gets power from the ignition switch. I was asking how you had your volt meter hooked up, because the other wire color gets switched from open to ground and the volt meter isn't fast enough to show the switching from 0 to 12V. The 12V would only show for fractions of a second.

Put the red meter lead on the blk/yel wire, and the black meter lead on a good ground (like battery negative), set the meter to voltage, then you can verify if you are missing power to the blk/yel wire. Hope this makes sense.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So the blk/yel wire gets power from the ignition switch. I was asking how you had your volt meter hooked up, because the other wire color gets switched from open to ground and the volt meter isn't fast enough to show the switching from 0 to 12V. The 12V would only show for fractions of a second.

Put the red meter lead on the blk/yel wire, and the black meter lead on a good ground (like battery negative), set the meter to voltage, then you can verify if you are missing power to the blk/yel wire. Hope this makes sense.
I did exactly what you’re talking about already

Quick Reply: 2002 Honda Accord coupe V6 J30a motor cranking but not turning over and starting