General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord intermittent P0141 Secondary O2 sensor ckt malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM

I waited till the CEL came on again, with the idea that with the new sensor installed I would get a visual indication of the CEL going unlit. When the CEL came on yesterday, the heater measured 44 ohms or so. I decided to undertake the sensor replacement today. FWIW today the heater measured 18 ohms. I used the special offset socket to attempt removal of the sensor. The sensor didn't budge. I applied PB Blaster with no effect. Then I watched some youtube videos. One of them gave a hint that one should remove the heat shield for better access.
The heat shield screws didn't budge either with PB Blaster applied. Also I noticed that the locations of the shield with screws had rusted. I'm afraid that if I apply more force, the heat shield screw corners will just disintegrate. I'm attaching pics of the sensor with the shield (to give an idea of the big picture), as well as the screws at positions right front, right rear, left front and left rear. What should be my next step?

Big picture

Heat shield screw right front

Heat shield screw right rear

Heat shield screw left front

Heat shield screw left rear

Old 10-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the heat shield will break off pretty soon. I'd stop by a home depot and pick up 2-s large hose clamps in the appliance section for dryers. Break the bolts off the heat shield and replace the sensor. Use the hose clamps to secure the heat shield. I did this on my accord and it lasted for years. I recently replaced the heat shield and bolts for cosmetic purposes.

Here is a video on doing this.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Eric, thanks for your suggestion on securing the heat shield and the accompanying video, which was quite informative. I'll go to HD tomorrow. In the meantime I looked up the hose clamps on the HD website. They seem to have 2 different types. One type they call turn-key dryer vent clamp of size 2.5 - 4.5 inches.It doesn't require any tools for installation because there's a built-in plastic turn-key which can be operated by hand to tighten and loosen the clamp. I'd rather not use a clamp with a plastic part as it can get very hot on the car underside. Another type is the traditional stainless-steel hose clamp (in the plumbing dept) and it comes in various sizes. I measured the girth (circumference) of the heat shield to be about 18 inches. It looks like the 5 - 7 inch clamp will work, since 7 inch diameter corresponds to a girth of about 22 inches. See web links below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...649B/203493342

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9595/202309383

Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I had to do one like that before where it had seized. I cut the wire and put a torch to the bolt. Afterwards it came off easy. Never had to remove the shield. I also had it jacked up so I can get a breaker bar in there

Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Some older Saab turbos have O2 sensors difficult to loosen. The trick was to drive them hard & get it good and hot. Immediately try to loosen while the converter is still very hot. YMMV...

But don't put the new one in until it all cools down, and use anti-seize compound.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Some older Saab turbos have O2 sensors difficult to loosen. The trick was to drive them hard & get it good and hot. Immediately try to loosen while the converter is still very hot. YMMV...

But don't put the new one in until it all cools down, and use anti-seize compound.
+1

That's trick has worked for me from time to time

Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Seanjordan and JimBlake, thanks for your comments.I did get the clamps from HD. They were cheap at 2.22 apiece and they worked well. Unfortunately, the heat shield rusted areas where the bolts are located did not break off. It would seem that I should get metal cutting snips from HD to proceed further or should I use a different method?

Also, I have an old Larin floor jack which doesn't work any more. Any suggestions on a reliable hydraulic floor jack to buy?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 PM

I bought this jack and cross beam from Harbor Freight in 2012 and it's still going. Usually you can catch it on sale @$69. Then I bought the crossbeam just in case I needed it.

Jack

Crossbeam

Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 PM

Seanjordan, thanks for this info. I see that Harbor Freight has a Pittsburgh Automotive "Rapid Pump" 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack for $80 and a $20 coupon applies. I realize that the Accord weighs about 4000 lbs, which is about 2 tons but I'm not lifting the entire car.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I use the 1.5 ton jack on my TSX with no issues.

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord intermittent P0141 Secondary O2 sensor ckt malfunction