General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord key remote functions inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 01:19 PM

This technique didn't work.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, I called a dealer to ask how much it would cost to program 2 master keys. They said they use a computer and the job takes an hour, so the charge is $160! I was quite surprised because I thought this would be a routine procedure taking just a few minutes. Other Honda dealers also charge the same. I'm wondering if they'll be able to program the key even if there might be an issue with the master switch module.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Call around to some local shops to get a quote on doing the reprogramming and/or diagnostics. Do your homework on the shop if they are reputable.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:02 PM

I called several local shops. None of them can do it and referred me to a dealer. So the dealer already knows they have a monopoly on this service item and can charge whatever.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

It is frustrating. Some shops spend the money on scanners to do this work, but you'll have to find them. If you have a locksmith that does automotive work, they can help. I think they charged me $100 to cut and program my key.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:22 PM

I did change the battery on one key. For the other key, the screw didn't budge and I think I stripped it (see pic). I may have to extract the screw to get to the battery and test it out. In the process I may even have to get an after-market key fob. The first key already has an after-market fob for many years. I called around and found a well rated locksmith who said he can do the job. However, before I go to him, my thinking is to do everything I can in terms of replacing the battery in the 2nd key. I should mention that the red light on neither key comes on.

Old 06-04-2023, 12:56 PM

Eventually, I took the plunge. I drilled through the screw that was stripped. The drill bit broke in the process but I drilled enough so that I could separate the two parts of the key fob. The battery was dead so I changed the battery. Much to my delight and surprise, the key is now fully functional, meaning, that the red light comes on and the remote functions of lock/unlock are operational without requiring any programming! Curious, I opened up the first key. I noticed that the battery was installed with incorrect polarity. The voltage was also in millivolts. I tried a good battery and the key fob became operational again. Therefore a change of the master switch is not required. My next step is to get an after-market key fob for the 2nd key since its screw is completely ruined.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:06 PM

I've continued to disassemble the old key. I removed the transmitter successfully by tearing out the plastic around it. Now my challenge is to remove the key piece from the shell (see pic). There's still a broken screw inside, which I was unable to drill out. Even blows of the hammer wouldn't break the plastic. What should be my maneuver to release the metal part of key out of the plastic?

Old 07-15-2023, 08:18 PM

Eventually, I chipped away at the plastic with a chisel till the metal part was freed from the plastic. I ordered a key shell from Amazon and was able to transfer the metal key and the chip into the new shell. The shell came with 4 screws instead of 1, and these screws don't rely on the hole in the metal key, which worked for me because the broken screw still remains embedded in the key. Now both the keys work in the ignition as well as remote door lock/unlock and trunk. The only thing that doesn't work is the panic button for both keys.