General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 accord using oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Where is the location of PCV valve in 2003 Accord LX

Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by moazizuddin
My 2003 Accord EX with the 2.4 started using oil around 80K miles. About 3K miles after an oil change the oil light started flashing. Took back to Honda service center. They checked for leaks and could not find any. They asked me to check the oil level after each gas fill-up. They said according to Honda, 1 quart per 1K miles is acceptible usage. If the usage exceeds that, they will check into it more. It doesn't seem normal to me for a car to do this, especially when the problem seemed to appear suddenly.
I'll be first to call BS on the dealer for their "acceptable oil usage". My 1993 lx has 227,000 on the motor and uses less than 1/2 qt in 3000 miles. Pull and read the spark plugs one at a time. They should be a light brownish grey at the electode and no sign of carbon or oil built up. Any oil on the electrode could indicate oil leakage from worn valve guides.
Next, do an oil and filter change with a quality oil filter and a factory crush washer on the drainplug. Yes, check your oil frequently and add if necessary...before the oil light comes on. If you wait that long, you literally have only 1.5 qt of oil in the motor...Not a good idea...

Last edited by bigpat; 08-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Supper Moderator

yall know you are posting in a thread that is 3 years old. Also the person you quoted is a "Unregistered" user. I'm sure my team has a reason for that along with spin05 as being a "Unregistered" user ...Just sayin

Old 09-23-2021, 07:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default yes, i hear it is common for 03 accords to consume oil

Originally Posted by spin05
I have a 2003 honda accord.the oil light came on about 3,000 miles after a oil change .I discovered it was almost 3 qts. low. It is a certified car on warranty.We took it back to the dealer and the have been checking it every time we fill up for gas.So now its getting low again and they are saying Honda is telling them that its normal to use oil like that!!!!!! WTF????? The reason we buy Hondas is for the low maitaince.This is our 3rd honda and non used oil like this. So my question is has anybody else had there accord use oil like this????? The car doesnt smoke and the dealer cant find anywear else it might be going.

i bought a used 2003 honda accord 4 cylinder off craigslist from a mechanic. he had a big list of items he said he replaced. i asked him if there was anything wrong with the car and he said no. i trusted him. i buy the car and the oil light turns on. I check and the car is very low on oil. so i go back to the guy and ask him about why the car got so low on oil so fast. he said i thought you knew you were buying a honda accord! i said yes, but i'm not a mechanic...what am i missing? mechanic says its "common knowledge that these 2003 honda accords consume a lot of oil." would have been nice to know that before i bought the car. with all of this said...i have done research and it sounds like it is indeed a common problem for these particular honda accords. it's a shame because i've loved hondas too for their reliablility. my first car was a civic and it drove to 300k miles. I hope the place you bought your car from has a solution for you that is fair. I am now looking at replacing my engine with a used "JDM" engine for about $2,000.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default i have same car and same issue

Originally Posted by nwf_snake
I have a buddy that has the same problem. His is a 4cyl, and it uses a quart every 1K miles or so.
Doesn't seem to smoke that we can tell, just uses oil. No leaks either... Wonder if this is common
for this gen Accord???
yes, i have the same 03 accord and have now learned the hard way that it is indeed common for this car to consume lots of oil. i put in a quart every time at the gas pump almost. i also have a leak, but multiple mechanics have confirmed my car burns oil and that it's common for 03 accords to burn oil. it's too bad, because most hondas are great and reliable. my first car, a civic, lasted a long time