General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Accord - AC sporadically works

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Default 2004 Accord - AC sporadically works

2004 Accord Ex V6 with 6 speed MT. Has navigation, climate control and radio in an integrated unit using the navigation display.

When I started my drive this weekend the AC only blew warm air. Then after driving it for about 10 minutes the AC began blowing cold air without me doing anything to the controls. The temperature was set on the very coldest setting (low). When I moved the setting up from the lowest point the AC stopped blowing cold air and blew only unconditioned air. I then set it back to the low setting but it did not resume blowing cold air. After driving it for about 20 minutes the AC began blowing cold air. Changing the controls to recirculate the air or changing it to defrost had no impact/no trigger to make is start or stop. Then without doing anything it began blowing cold air. This kept up for whole time that I was driving it. I couldn't identify a pattern or any trigger to have it begin or stop blowing cold air, EXCEPT changing the temperature to anything else but the coldest setting when the AC was blowing cold air would cause it to stop blowing cold air and only room temperature. Any thoughts on the issue or what I should try to do to troubleshoot it?

- Thanks -

Old 07-16-2018, 06:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Was your clutch going off and on while this was happening? Have you checked your Freon level? When was the last time you did ac service? Is your ac fan cutting on at the radiator?

If your clutch is not engaging when the ac is on then you should check to see if power is getting to it.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to move this to Gen-Tech because it's not really "internal" engine and because probably more people will see it over there...

Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When no cooling is present, check whether ac compressor clutch is engaging. If not try bumping clutch face with hefty stick or other tool (carefully!). If clutch engages and cooling begins, you ID'd the problem; ac clutch gap is excessive. Fix is to remove clutch plate, remove shim beneath clutch plate, check that gap meets spec, and re-install. Due to access issues, this is advanced diy.

If clutch doesn't respond to love taps, then electrical problem is likely. Look for 12v at the clutch connector. If missing, check clutch relay and wiring/connectors for faults.

good luck

Attached Files