General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord 3.0 vibration on accelration

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 08:02 AM
Default 2005 Accord 3.0 vibration on accelration

I bought an '05 Accord from a friend of mine. He was the original owner. 234000 miles but looks like half that. I paid $500 bucks for it so I really can't lose.
The car had a grinding sound when I bought it, which I thought was wheel hub but turned out to be drinker's side axle. I replaced both axles, both hubs both bearings.
Grinding went away. Car ran wonderfully but I noticed the brakes were grabbing. I suspected a stuck caliper so I did both front calipers and rotors. Cleared THAT up. However, the car has a pretty serious vibration on acceleration only beginning around 55 and on through about 70. The new calipers and rotors lessened it a lot but it's still shaking pretty good in that range. I feel it in the accelerator pedal, not the brake pedal and not much in the steering wheel. Also, the car has god-awful torque steer. The 3.0 must make a heck of a lot of torque because last night, road testing the new front brakes I fed her some onions and thought the front wheels were going to turn into each other.
Could this be a broken motor or trans mount? I have to service the trans next. I hope it's not a motor mount because I have a gravel driveway and no garage.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Vibrations at speed typically mean something that is spinning, so it could be a warped rotor or hub that is not spinning true, or maybe the new CV joint. A dial indicator can tell you if the hub is slightly off axis or a warped rotor. It is possible an issue with the tires could also cause this kind of vibration.

You should inspect the suspension for leaking struts or cracked springs. Inspecting the motor mounts is also a good idea.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Vibrations at speed typically mean something that is spinning, so it could be a warped rotor or hub that is not spinning true, or maybe the new CV joint. A dial indicator can tell you if the hub is slightly off axis or a warped rotor. It is possible an issue with the tires could also cause this kind of vibration.

You should inspect the suspension for leaking struts or cracked springs. Inspecting the motor mounts is also a good idea.
I replaced both rotors and caliper as well because one was sticking. I failed to mention that I replaced the front struts when I did the axles. The driveline is new. I'm going to test the mounts next