General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord clutch stopped working properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:52 PM
Default 2005 Accord clutch stopped working properly

I have a 2005 4 cyl Accord. About 3 weeks ago my front axle went out, the car would not go into gear. I had that replaced and the car worked fine. It shifted a little different than before but otherwise fine. Today I drove to work and it was fine. Tonight I got into my car to drive home and the clutch barely worked. It doesn't want to go into and out of gear. I had to turn off the engine to get it to come out of reverse gear.

I looked at the receptacle up by the brake fluid and it seems to be full.

What could be causing something like this?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2021, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm confused by your description and have some questions before you go down the wrong path to address the issue.

What do you mean exactly by the car not going into gear when the axle first popped out? Do you mean you couldn't move the shifter, or would the clutch not engage and the car not move?

With the recent issue, what do you mean by the clutch barely working and it doesn't want to go into and out of gear? Again, can you switch gears or do you get grinding when trying to switch gears?

Old 01-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Great questions and glad you asked. because I am a backyard mechanic and not a very good one of those. When the axle was replaced the transmission woujld not engage. You could sort of hear it rattling around but it would not go into gear so the car would not move.
I get a kind of grinding when I try to go into gears, it was like it lacked pressure. So the master cylinder and the slave cylinder were replaced but that was not my problem. After bleeding it all out the problem remained. I was not smart enough to look at where the petal is attached to the vehicle itself. There is a bracket that holds the clutch assembly in place. My bracket is broken so you can see the bracket flex and move around when you depress the petal. It seems that I wasted 117 dollars and about 3.5 hours on cylinders when I should have been repairing that bracket instead.

No parts house seems to have the petal assembly, although I did see something on Ebay. Where do you think I can get one, I am sort of assuming I need to call a dealership.
I need it fast because to get back and forth to work I will need to rent a car, so I can't really wait for a week to get it off of Ebay. I will upload some photos for your viewing pleasure, in case there is something else I should be thinking about. The part with the little yellow circle around it is the part that should be bolted down solid. It flexes and moves when the petal is depressed
Is this the correct part to replace it

Honda Genuine 46910-SDA-A01 Clutch Pedal (I got that off of Amazon)

Last edited by Schleprock; 01-03-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: ask question
Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

The photo isn't completely clear, so I can't see exactly what's cracked. But that part number is the pedal assembly including the pedal lever, and the bracket that bolts onto the firewall. Along with a couple little things like a spring & the rubber pad of the pedal.
According to Majestic, it's about $150 from a dealer, or $100 mail-order from them. If you're lucky, your local dealer might match the price?
It's #18 in the picture.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.