General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord V6 AC & Cooling Fan Diode

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 02:27 PM
Default 2005 Accord V6 AC & Cooling Fan Diode

Both fans on the radiator turn on low when the ignition switch is moved to the II location. Troubleshooting guide says to look for a short in the wire between the terminal 4 of the relay and terminal A6 of ECM/PCM. No short.
However, there is an additional symptom: When I turn the key off after running the engine, even for just a few seconds, both fans run for 3-5 minutes on high. When I followed the circuitry through relays and diodes, it looked like the radiator fan diode (taped to a main harness above the under dash fuse box yellow/Red wire) appeared to have a burn mark on it like somehow the smoke was release from it However, it checks out fine with the meter. When I reinstalled it, the fans still do the same thing, but this time they only run on low speed.

The wiring diagram shows a diode for the A/C condenser circuit as well (Black/Yellow wire), but I cannot find that one. Any ideas where it could be located?

Old 04-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

From your description the diodes are working, because the fans wouldn't work if the diode was not delivering power.

The fan control relay below the a/c compressor fan motor in your diagram sets the fans to low when it routes power through the blu/blk wire to the radiator fan motor. You may want to check if the green pin on the fan control relay is getting ground from the PCM.

Any chance the a/c button is turned on inside the car when you turn the key to the II position?

I don't think the diodes are your issue, but A/C diode A is in the engine bay fuse box. Diode B is under the dash. Look on page 21-7 if you bought the pdf of the accord shop manual from automanualsource.com.