General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 HAH - passenger front door will not lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2005 HAH - passenger front door will not lock

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. Locks have worked fine for many years. Today, passenger front door is stuck in up position. Cannot lock manually, with key, or with door lock control. Other locks work fine. Removed and put back in fuse 8 under steering wheel. Did not help. Disconnected battery some. Did not help. Other doors make clicking sound when they lock. Passenger front door makes no sound. Cannot push in lock, tried pretty firmly pushing. Used silicone spray, did not help. Looked around some on internet, seemed to suggest maybe door lock actuator went bad. Any chance problem with other electric component / chip? Any other tests I might do before removing door panel? Other advice? Thanks

Old 03-23-2021, 11:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tried learning more by reading an online 2005 Honda Accord Chilton manual (through my local library). At least for me, waste of time, did not help related to this issue.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

If the front passenger door will not lock with the key or the lock ****, then I'd lean towards something stuck or broken in the door latch assembly.

You may want to try spraying wd-40 into the latch mechanism where the door catches the hook to see if you can free up the mechanism on the mechanical lock **** or key.

If that does not work, then search "2004 honda accord door lock stuck" on youtube for a good video on removing the latch assembly to see if you can spot the problem.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Beyond the silicone spray I tried before, I tried wd-40 - reasonable suggestion, but did not help.

Looking at the door latch, I noticed one of the three Philips head bolts was missing, and the other two bolts were loose. Makes it seem even more likely something wrong with latch assembly.

However, is there a way to rule out MICU as the cause of the problem? If I'm sure the problem is inside the door, I don't mind removing door panel and locking assembly. But if some way to test MICU, seems much easier first step.

Any other advice?

Old 03-26-2021, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

If the problem was in the MICU, that would not prevent using the manual button on the door. When you say it won't work with the key, do you mean the key in THAT door? Or are you using the key in the driver's door to electrically lock the passenger door? (I don't remember if the passenger door even has a lock cylinder.)

Old 03-26-2021, 11:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for responding. To me, it seems the fact I cannot push passenger front manual button down makes it more likely a mechanical problem inside door, something stuck, and not problem with MICU. So I agree with you. OTOH, the fact that there is no sound seems (IMO) to indicate NOT a mechanical problem, but instead an electrical problem, either with MICU or with actuator, because the door is not even trying to lock. So I am confused. By "won't work with the key", I mean pushing lock button on key locks all doors EXCEPT passenger front door. Turning key in driver side lock (I just tried it) is the same, locks all doors EXCEPT passenger front door. I should have spelled out that passenger front door on 2005 HAH does NOT have a lock cylinder. Passenger front door does have a handrest lock button for all the doors, just like the driver side handrest lock button. Pushing handrest lock button has no effect on passenger front door. Throw in the loose latch bolts, and (to me) seems confusing what the cause of passenger front lock stuck in up position is. Anyway, assuming actuator might be at fault, I ordered a passenger side actuator. Other ideas? Otherwise, in a few days I will take apart door and see what I can figure out.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

The actuator is worth a shot, but I'm guessing the latch is bound and the actuator can't physically move the latch. Hopefully I am wrong and the actuator solves the problem.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

"the latch is bound" - I agree that makes sense. Given that one latch bolt was missing and the other two bolts loose, maybe the latch got messed up. But the latch DOES close, seems to function well. Just cannot lock it. In your opinion, is "latch is bound" consistent with "cannot push down on lock rod (or manual button or whatever it's called)"? I have looked at the diagrams and am confused, will not understand until I can directly see it. Any guesses from others much more expert than me, why cannot press down on lock rod, what the problem is with door lock? I will post what happened / cause after I take door apart.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Within the whole latch mechanism, the locking function is different from the latching function. Seems like something must be broken or stuck or ??

The lock button that you pull up & down is connected with a cable to the latch mechanism. Can you pull that button up & down or is it stuck in some position? (never mind, I just re-read your first post & I guess its stuck and you cannot push it down)

Since it doesn't make any noise when you try to trigger the electric lock, we can't rule out something additional broken with that.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the comments.Yes, passenger front lock button (pulls up and down) is stuck. And yes, no passenger front door noise when trigger electric lock. And two passenger front latch bolts (on door) were loose, one missing. So three problems / symptoms. Other doors work perfectly.

New actuator is on the way, even though not sure if that is the problem. I felt I needed to have part on hand when I open door panel in a few days, so I can finish repair same day. Wish I could have diagnosed cause before opening door panel. Of course not always possible.

Quick Reply: 2005 HAH - passenger front door will not lock