General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Honda accord 2.4 slow crank to no crank but brand new battery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 PM
Default 2005 Honda accord 2.4 slow crank to no crank but brand new battery.

Originally Posted by zoid_99
Over the past 2 months I have been experiencing intermittent episodes of slow crank as iff the battery was almost dead. It would sowly attempt crank for about 3 seconds before it couldn't turn over any more. I would let it sit for 20-30 seconds and try again and it would usually start. Sometimes I would have to try again 30 seconds later. I assume the battery was dead so I purchased and installed a new battery. Went out this morning and same thing happened. I'm a little stumped as I'm not so sure this is a drain issue because I have left the car for 5 days while on vacation and it started right up when I got home. Her additional info and observations.

- 2003 Accord Ex 4 cylinder

- Seems to happen more often when damp/rains and cold

- Usually happens in morning but sometime when when leaving work

- Extended amount of time (days) doesn't seem to change symptoms.

I still think it might be a drain but but the "sitting for days" thing confuses me.

Thanks!
my Honda was working fine up until this morning. I put a new camshaft sensors last week and replace the spark plugs on this morning. There was a little or slow crank, but no start. I checked all the cables, the starter and the alternator and everything‘s in good working order I even replace the battery with a brand new one and still same thing any suggestions ? thoughts? I don’t know maybe tomorrow I’m going to check the starter relay and replace it and see what happens. full tank of gas I checked all the wiring clips nothing is out of place and my last result is going to change the starter relay and then I don’t know where to go from there if that doesn’t work.

Last edited by Sidd44; 02-28-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Why did you install new cam sensors?

If the starter is cranking slow, it is either the starter, battery, or the wiring. I wouldn't blindly replace the starter relay, because it sounds like the relay is working. A quick test is to swap the starter relay with an identical relay nearby.

You can try voltage drop test on the + battery cable from the starter to the battery + terminal. You can also do the same test on the battery ground wire. These are simple tests, but you may want to watch a youtube video or some other source on how to do this.

EDIT: Moved your post to a new thread to avoid confusion on the original thread for people reading in the future.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:01 PM

I change the two camshaft sensors because I was getting the code on the code reader I have to replace them. The code was still coming up on the code reader, so tomorrow I’m just gonna go to change swap out the starter relay. Maybe check the negative battery cable ground there’s got to be a loose connection somewhere cause this happened to me about four months ago where the car has full power but no start I’d wait like a minute and it would start up no problem.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:03 PM

I have no idea what’s wrong with this car working fine up until this morning. I mean it won’t even start with the remote starter.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:53 AM

I figured it out when I was programming a second remote starter remote. I had activated the immobilizer green flashing key on the dash and didn’t know and that killed the fuel pump so I watched a YouTube video of how to deactivated it and my car starts up no problem now it’s so easy and it was something so stupid.

Thank everyone for your help and time all I had to do was deactivate the immobilizer mode