General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Power Door Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Default 2005 Power Door Lock Issue

2005 Accord EX V6 4-Door
I have read a few post and see that other have the same issue. My driver side power door lock doesn't work. My remote unlocks all other doors but I have to time it because they quickly re-lock.
I cannot manually or electronically get the driver side door open to diagnose/repair further. The door tries to unlock but gets stuck. My key won't turn the lock in the door, and I don't want to break it. Any ideas on how to get the door open?

Some more information on my issue:
Broken window was replaced recently (driver side)
Original issue was that door would not latch closed at random times. I would turn the car on and then the door would latch. This started before the broken window.
Power door attempts to unlock door but the **** only goes halfway.
Based on what I've read, going to focus on the actuator.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lance Link; 11-09-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Definitely try the door lock actuator. Cheap easy fix and something that apparently is a common problem, enough that I've read about it too and come to that conclusion. I'm waiting on one to come in the mail for the passenger door on Selene.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Any ideas on how to get the door open? I'm open to suggestions.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:06 PM

I don't know how feasible it would be while it's shut, but you could try taking off the interior door panel and see if there's something going on in there that would open it.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

See following thread discussing this issue. It should apply in your case also.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...en-99ex-62484/

good luck

Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 PM

UPDATE:
I was able to get the door unlocked after disconnecting the battery.
I ended up removing the actuator/lock assembly, but I only replaced the actuator (See picture). Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue.
I ran out of time yesterday so I put everything back together and left the actuator disconnected. Everything, except the driver door power locks, work fine.
So my driver door won't unlock with everything plugged in, but works fine mechanically when there is no power to the actuator.

My next step is to replace the switch, not the lock assembly. I figure mechanically, everything is fine, so focus on the switch.
Any other suggestions on what it could be? Does my car have a control module for the power locks?

TIPS I LEARNED:
The door handle lever disconnects at the actuator (the bottom of the lever).
The key lever disconnects at the key (the top of the lever).
Pay attention how the widow guide is set up before removing it. The rubber insert is not intuitive on how it is installed.
Be patient with the 3 screws on the outside that hold in the actuator. They can easily strip. I used Aero Kroil and a hand impact with light to medium force. And a P3 Phillips bit.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Power Door Lock Issue-untitled.png   2005 Power Door Lock Issue-hand-impact.png  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Are you saying the actuator did not fix the problem, so the door latch assy must be replaced?

Yes, those screws are difficult to remove. An impact screwdriver as you used is almost essential.

good luck

Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Correct, the actuator did not fix the problem.
I contemplated changing the door latch assy but it mechanically works when the battery is disconnected.
I think changing the switch on the door panel makes more sense. What do you think?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM

The door not opening from inside or outside (despite door lock being manually or electrically released) is usually a mechanical fault in the door latch. It may be intermittent.

If you review the video in the attached thread, you'll see what a job it is to release the latch. You might consider replacing the latch to prevent necessity of such an intervention.

good luck