General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 No Fuel to Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Default 2006 No Fuel to Engine

looking for some guidance. I thought I had a different issue, and now it appears that I’m not getting fuel to the engine. Thought I had a timing chain issue, but that’s not the case. I pulled off the cover and can clearly see the chain turning over when the ignition is engaged.

I used a little WD40 just to see if I had spark or not. I definitely had spark, so I’m down to fuel.

What are some some of the more common reasons for no fuel delivery??

Old 07-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Empty gas tank.
Fuel pump.
Wiring/signal to send power to fuel pump.
No signal to open injectors.

If you turn the key to the II Position, but do not try to start the car, do you hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds? It happens when the check engine light does the bulb check and last about 2 seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc and listen carefully.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:09 PM

The gauge shows nearly a half tank. I had my wife turn the key, and I was in th trunk. I can hear the whine of the fuel pump. But I don’t smell any fuel by the engine when I check that.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hopefully the fuel gauge is working, or you remember how many miles you put on the car since the last fill-up. If you have some gas, it is worth a shot adding it to the tank.

If you have a test light, you can try testing at the fuel pump electrical connector. The yellow/green wire is the power wire. Use a good ground for the test light, and probe the harness side of the connector with the test light. That light should turn on bright for about 2 seconds when you do that same test as before. I think there is an access panel in the trunk of the car to access the fuel pump connector. It will have 5 wires.

The other test you can try is to unplug the electrical connector to an injector. Each injector will have 2 wires, where one color wire will be present at all the injectors. With the key in the II position, the common color wire will have 12V to ground.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 PM

Na, there’s gas in it. I just pulled the main fuel line to the fuel bar, and turned the key just to see, and there was fuel getting pushed up to that point.

I did use some starter fluid to see if there was spark, and when I did, the engine just kicked the flame back out the butterfly intake. Not sure if that indicates that I have spark or not???

Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I would say the results of your test are inconclusive. You can try a spark tester. See link below.

Do you have a scanner to read codes?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 PM

I did buy a light tester to see if the plugs were getting spark. There is some spark, but honestly, I’m not quite certain how bright the light should flash when it gets the spark.

I pulled led all of the plugs, two had fuel on them so I feel like there’s fuel getting there, but I may need to get the tester shown in that video to see if there’s enough spark from the coils

Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think you can try to estimate the distance from his spark tester to get an idea of the volts from the coil.

Is your check engine light staying on after it does the bulb check?

Old 07-23-2018, 03:58 PM

My check engine light is not on, and I’m going to buy two different testers today. I’m going to get the KV tester to test the KiloVolts my coils are putting out.

Im also going to get a cylinder pressure tester. When the motor cranks I don’t feel like there’s enough noise. Allot the engine parts are moving, valves, cams, timing chain(which I’m assuming that the crank is also turning) but it sounds like there’s no life to the engine. (There isn’t, but I’m hoping you know what I mean) maybe the reason I’m not getting combustion, is that there’s no compression???

Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Complete carnage. I went ang got a compression tester, and my fears have been confirmed. Zero Compression. I was listening to the car cranking, and I knew something was missing just listening to it. Everything appears to be turning, the crank, timing chain, both cam’s, and the valves, but the pistons are not moving at all. I’ll assume that this is either time for a new engine, or a new car????

Quick Reply: 2006 No Fuel to Engine