General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Clock and A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 05:54 AM
Default 2007 Clock and A/C problem

Hi all
​​​​​​My battery kept dying and I realised I had a parasitic drain.
I hooked up a multimeter and pulled all my fuses out one by one until I found the issue. It was fuse number 6 in the interior fuse box, the one for the indoor lights. So I removed that and no more battery issues!
However I noticed that now the clock and radio display is not on, the buttons around my screen don't light up and if u press the audio button nothing happens. If I press the A/C button a message comes up saying "Please start engine before operating climate control" however the A/C works using the Auto button.

Also the check engine light stayed on.

I checked all the fuses and replaced one which looked blown and now the check engine light has gone but the other issues are still there.

Does anyone have any advice that might help?

I've got a 2007 2.0 i-VTEC EX 4dr Auto in the UK.

Thanks all!

Old 08-14-2022, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Was any other work done recently on your car?

Try reinstalling the #6 fuse to see if the a/c system controls and clock work. Fuse 6 shouldn't have anything to do with the radio based on the US shop manual, but the UK version could be different.

A quick way to test the fuses in place is to use a test light connected to ground and touch the top metal tab on each side of a fuse with the test light. Both tabs should have 12V if the fuse is good. A fuse with 12V on one side and 0V on the other side is blown. This is much quicker than pulling each fuse.

Which fuse did you find blown, where the CEL went away after replacing? I'd also get the codes scanned on the car to see what codes were set.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your reply.

So I tested all the fuses like you said and they were all good. So i tried putting fuse no. 6 back in and that worked! Although I am sure I tried this when the problem first occurred.

The problem is I do not want to leave this in as the draw is 22 milliamps when the fuse is in and only 2 milliamps when out so it is draining my battery. Anyway the interior lights never turned on automatically when doors were open.
Any idea what I can do to stop the drain?

It is fuse no. 6 that is giving me the problem.

Cheers

Old 08-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

How long does it take to drain your battery between starts?

How did you do the testing for a parasitic draw? More importantly, what is the overall draw on your battery when the car is asleep?