General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Accord stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Default 2008 Accord stuck in limp mode

My 2008 Accord 2.4L i-VTEC is currently stuck in limp mode. I haven't been able to find a resolution on other threads so am starting one. Here are all of the relevant details that came to mind.

The issue first started several months ago. VSA light and VSA Activation Indicator (Exclamation mark inside a triangle) lights came on along with check engine light. Also would not go over 3,000 RPM. My introduction to limp mode... Codes were P0300, P0302, P0303, P0339, C1555, P0102, & P0113. I'm thinking that the car entering limp mode is causing the misfire codes, not the other way around? The car runs perfect when not in limp mode.

The oil was due to be changed so I changed the oil. After the oil was changed, the codes cleared and the car ran just fine. Weird, but ok.

It ran fine for several weeks but then the issue surfaced again. Had a local shop look at the crankshaft position sensor. They said the signal coming from the sensor was not typical so they replaced and retrained that. Again the issue went away.

However several weeks later, it happened again. And continued to happen intermittently. The misfire codes come up each time, the others have not resurfaced except for C1555. Several times the issue cleared on it's own upon restarting the vehicle, and several times clearing the codes cleared the issue. However, now it is stuck in limp mode. Even when codes are cleared, it enters limp mode either when put into gear, or after idling for about a minute or less.

I brought it to the Honda dealer. They verified that the software version was current per TSB 09-050. I wanted to rule that out. They verified that. They also suggested performing a valve adjustment, replacing spark plugs (not fouled, just worn) and replacing battery. Battery only 3 years old, but tested <300 CCA. I felt they didn't know for sure what the issue was, and didn't want to start paying dealer rates for swapping parts so brought the car back home.

I replaced the spark plugs, battery, and air filter. Replacing this did not resolve the issue. This is where I'm at now. Any suggestions on how to move forward and diagnose the issue is greatly appreciated!!

Other information that may or may not be relevant:
  • Previous to this issue, I have replaced the starter and alternator within the last 6 months or so. Rebuilt units from NAPA or O'Reilly, not OEM. Some threads i've read suggest these non-OEM units could cause issues similar to this but that seemed unlikely to me.
  • When the issue was intermittent, it would typically go into limp mode after a long crank (about 5 seconds). The car typically would turn over right away but occasionally would take longer to start. The long crank seemed to be unrelated to the car being warm or cold.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:34 PM
Default Me too! 2008 Honda in limp mode, engine light on, etc...etc..

My POS Honda is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Does anyone have a solution? Please.......

Old 01-15-2023, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaS
My POS Honda is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Does anyone have a solution? Please.......
Closing the loop on my Accord... after having the crankshaft position sensor retrained several more times, I ended up replacing the timing chain. It turned out to be stretched and the VTC actuator needed to be replaced as well.

After the chain we replaced, it ran with no issues for about a week before going back into limp mode again. Shop then recommended replacing with Honda crankshaft position sensor because aftermarket sensors can be flakey. After replacing the sensor with a Honda one and another retrain, it's been running without issues for several months.