General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Honda Accord EX V6 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:22 AM
Default 2008 Honda Accord EX V6 3.5

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2008 Accord Sedan EX V6 3.5. I had an oil leak at the Front Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (VVT) and replaced both seals. The this fixed the leak but now throws a code of P3497 (cylinder deactivation system bank 2) after reading many threads I have replace the oil pressure switch on bank 2, made sure my torque was correct on the (VVT), and checked oil the oil level.

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Just curious, what is your other stored code?

Old 01-04-2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Just curious, what is your other stored code?
VPS stuck off
&
VPS stuck off bank 2

It gives the exact same screen on 1/2 and 2/2.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a shop manual for the vvt on a V6, so I searched the web probably like you did. If you got an aftermarket part for the oil pressure switch, then I'd probably reinstall the oem honda part.

If you didn't have problems before, I'd lean towards the torque on the bolts. if 5-6 ft-lbs on your torque wrench is on the low end of the wrench range, I'd recommend tightening by hand with a 1/4 inch drive socket until the bolts are snug. If oil starts leaking, slightly snug them a bit more?

I also read a post in the web about the gasket blocking an oil passage? I'm not sure what they were talking about, because I don't know how this could be possible without looking at this setup. The VVT uses oil pressure to operate that system so look at how the oil gets routed to that pressure switch you replaced. You may have to pull that entire assembly to get a closer look.

Also, did you use Honda gaskets when replacing?

Old 01-05-2021, 06:12 AM

I don't have a shop manual for the vvt on a V6, so I searched the web probably like you did. If you got an aftermarket part for the oil pressure switch, then I'd probably reinstall the oem honda part.

If you didn't have problems before, I'd lean towards the torque on the bolts. if 5-6 ft-lbs on your torque wrench is on the low end of the wrench range, I'd recommend tightening by hand with a 1/4 inch drive socket until the bolts are snug. If oil starts leaking, slightly snug them a bit more?

I also read a post in the web about the gasket blocking an oil passage? I'm not sure what they were talking about, because I don't know how this could be possible without looking at this setup. The VVT uses oil pressure to operate that system so look at how the oil gets routed to that pressure switch you replaced. You may have to pull that entire assembly to get a closer look.

Also, did you use Honda gaskets when replacing?
OEM pressure has been changed back.

The gaskets are not Honda but look to be the same. I talked to the Honda shop when I was looking for the gaskets and they don’t sell them individually, you have to buy the full VVT assembly for around $300.

I torqued the bolts at 7.5 ft lbs with no luck. I will try your suggestion below when I get off work today. I will also pull the full assembly to see how the oil is routed to the switch to see if anything looks off.

I'd recommend tightening by hand with a 1/4 inch drive socket until the bolts are snug. If oil starts leaking, slightly snug them a bit more?

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:33 PM

After trying everything I could think of I replaced the VVT module and it fixed the issue. I torqued the 3 bolts to 8 ft. Lb.

Figured I would share since this took so much time to get figured out.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Sucks that it was an expensive fix.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the update. Sucks that it was an expensive fix.
You bet, thank you for helping me figure this out. It does suck that it was an expensive fix but at this point it was worth it. I had started looking for the nearest cliff!😂😂😂