General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues

Last year I noticed my wife's EX-L was a little rough in second gear. Seems the word I've found is "judder". We had a drain and fill x 2 done-45k miles- at my local quicky lube (good people, not typical morons). Problem was fixed, and shifted smooth as silk.
No my wife just called saying it's slipping badly. RPM's go up and tranny doesn't seem to pull like it's supposed to. She made it out and back on her lunch break, so I don't know how bad it's slipping until this evening when I get a chance to drive it.
I've read TONS of problems w/ these transmissions, which is not a good sign.
Question:
Will a couple drain and fills w/ sythetic fluid help or hurt?
Will Auotzone have a filter in stock?
She now has 62k miles, which is just over the 60k drivetrain warranty, however I do have an extended warranty if needed.
Any other tips? Thanks for any help! I hope to know more tonight.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1) there is no filter for the Honda Auto Transmissions
2) Drain and fill at the local quicky lube most likely killed it, these transmissions take Genuine Honda Fluid only. Most of those places use a Merc / Dextron that says safe for Hondas, which it is not.

You are lucky that you have the extended warranty, you will most likely need it.

I would bring it to Honda and have it checked out, I think you should say that it was changed using genuine Honda ATF or they may deny your claim.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 12guns
Last year I noticed my wife's EX-L was a little rough in second gear. Seems the word I've found is "judder". We had a drain and fill x 2 done-45k miles- at my local quicky lube (good people, not typical morons). Problem was fixed, and shifted smooth as silk.
No my wife just called saying it's slipping badly. RPM's go up and tranny doesn't seem to pull like it's supposed to. She made it out and back on her lunch break, so I don't know how bad it's slipping until this evening when I get a chance to drive it.
I've read TONS of problems w/ these transmissions, which is not a good sign.
Question:
Will a couple drain and fills w/ sythetic fluid help or hurt?
Will Auotzone have a filter in stock?
She now has 62k miles, which is just over the 60k drivetrain warranty, however I do have an extended warranty if needed.
Any other tips? Thanks for any help! I hope to know more tonight.
Just curious, where are you findings tons of problems with the 8th generation Accord transmissions? I haven't heard too much. There were some Accords with the front brake "judder", which was resolved by refinishing rotors (or replacement of rotors) and replace with revised pads. Have not heard the judder term used commonly for any transmission problems for the 8th gen Accords.

Honda's new DW-1 transmission fluid is synthetic. Probably wouldn't hurt to drain and fill with DW-1. What brand and type of fluid did the quicky lube used the last time?

I believe Fram's FT1219 cross-references Honda filter part number 25450-P4V-013 (which should be the part number for the 2008 V6). Autozone may or may not stock the Fram; however, that filter is not normally changed unless there are problems and I would stick with the Honda part.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Yes, there is a filter. It's #2 in this illustration. Click on the link below.
AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE - ATF PIPE (V6) 2008 Honda ACCORD Parts 4DR EXL-V6 KA5AT - Genuine OEM Honda Parts
Jiffy Lube was a mistake IMO. If you have a warranty, I would take it to the dealership.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I drove her car this afternoon and there is nothing wrong w/ the transmission that I could pin point. No slipage like she described. If anything, maybe a lack of power, but the hot weather and A/C on may be to blame.
As for the fluid from the quickie lube, I don't want this to start a pissing contest, so you're right. There are better options out there, but a couple drain and fills w/ only 10-15k miles in the tranny is not going to cause sudden failure.
I'll do my own drain and fill just to be safe.
Why in the world do some say "honda ATF fluid only" as if the other sythetic's are no good? Mobile 1 ATF must be junk too? I don't mind using Honda fluid, just wanted to know why the big deal, other that the stamp that says "Honda" which means nothing to me.
Thanks for the replies! Glad my tranny does not seem to be going out.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

I drove her car this afternoon and there is nothing wrong w/ the transmission that I could pin point. No slipage like she described. If anything, maybe a lack of power, but the hot weather and A/C on may be to blame.
As for the fluid from the quickie lube, I don't want this to start a pissing contest, so you're right. There are better options out there, but a couple drain and fills w/ only 10-15k miles in the tranny is not going to cause sudden failure.
Why in the world do some say "honda ATF fluid only" as if the other sythetic's are no good? Mobile 1 ATF must be junk too? I don't mind using Honda fluid, just wanted to know why the big deal, other that the stamp that says "Honda" which means nothing to me.

Because 1,000's of people have had failures after running non-Honda ATF in the Honda Trans - including myself

That would be the reason.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow. Guess I need to do some searching. I've always heard of people that say "stick to OEM" for everything, even when there is a superior product out there, like brake pads for example. I wasn't aware that Honda fluid was so important. I'll buy some tomorrow and do a few drain and fills. What is it about the Honda ATF that makes is so special? Is there nothing that is as good, like a high quality amzoil, M1, etc??

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Not on this board you wont hear that.

I do know what you mean cause I have seen it on other boards.

But here the only 2 things I see recommended all the time is Honda ATF and NGK spark plugs.

I will let someone else hopefully answer the "Why Honda ATF" question as I do not know the actual reason. I do now that my 5 gen transmission, which is considered pretty durable, that shifted perfectly, suddenly blew after I replaced the fluid with "Honda Safe" Merc/Dex fluid.

And when I say blew I mean shifting perfect 1 min the next min nothing but neutral. Stuck on the side of the road with no warning late at night.

Since then I have kept my eyes open to the topic and just have seen the same type of problem happen to others. So Honda ATF is your best bet.

And the 8th gen Honda does seem to have a solid trans design but time will tell.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again for the replies.
I did some reading, specifically on Bob the oil guy...LOTS of people are saying there are other brands that are as good and better than Honda's ATF. I can vouch by saying the factory ATF at 40k miles or so was pretty nasty, vs my Toyota fluid at 80k miles seems to have held up much better. I know that's comparing apples to oranges, but still there is a major lack of evidence to show that Honda ATF is a superior fluid.
I won't risk it unless I find a more clear answer. That being the case I'll drain and fill a few times with Honda ATF.
I think the key is even if the Honda ATF is crappy fluid, when you change it every 30k miles, it doesn't matter.
I would also guess that for many of the people that changed to a non Honda ATF, they already had run the car for many many miles on bad ATF, then the flush or drain and fill killed it. I don't know that, but would bet $$ on it. IF that was true, that would also mean the Honda ATF doesn't do a very good job protecting unless you change it every few months, which I for one do not want to do. Hummmm, maybe that Honda ATF is to blame for many of the transmission issues I've read about? Who knows, lots of speculating, just talking outloud really.
Thanks for the help. I'll do more research and stick w/ Honda ATF if nothing else catches my eye. Then I'll change it often to make sure it holds up!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 PM

To me, if you ever have transmission failure, the dealership can't blame it on the fluid you used. That, and at least you know the Honda fluid is compatible. With aftermarket fluids, who knows because they claim to be compatible with everything. If the aftermarket fluid says it's compatible with 5 different makes, which one was it designed for, and which make is it just acceptable for. Honda automatics are not made like other autos.

Quick Reply: 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues