General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, thanks again for all the help. I found the fluid in there is overfilled by quite a bit. When I asked the quickie lube last year if they did a drain and fill or flush, I also told him about the "shudder" in second gear. He had my wife go by and he added some kind of additive (zddp or zinc maybe?) Don't know, but when he added it, I would guess he did not drain out the 1/2 quart needed to make the right amount of fluid. Long story short I've learned my lesson. I'll go get some Honda fluid tomorrow and do at least two drain/fills and ensure the right amount is in there.
Which fluid does it take? Dealer can help when I'm there, just wanted to make sure they give me the right kind!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds like a good plan.

The correct fluid is Honda DW1

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest replacing all the fluid w/ Honda ATF. Paste following into google or youtube for video.

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement

You will need to determine which hoses are supply & return. Trial/error is best way.

Good Luck

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest replacing all the fluid w/ Honda ATF. Paste following into google or youtube for video.

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement

You will need to determine which hoses are supply & return. Trial/error is best way.

Good Luck
That video raised a lot of questions. He claims the transmission holds over 7 quarts, but the short time the car was running, I doubt 7 quarts came out of that hose, and I also question how many quarts he could pour into the transmission in that time. Also, how under-filled was the transmission when he turned the engine off? He didn't bother to say how many quarts he put in. If all the fluid was changed, why would he need to put in the Dexron, then the Honda ATF at a later time? If he really changed all the fluid, he wasted the money he spent on the Dexron. Does the transmission fluid actually go through the entire transmission, while sitting there in Park? I don't think so.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 06-01-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most Accord AT capacity is 6+ qts. I checked a 90, 94, and 2007 accord AT's.

I haven't done this on an Accord, but did perform this on a Subaru Forester. I found I could start engine, go check flow, and cut off engine to allow about 1-2 qts to be pumped out. I would add that amount and continue until I got clean red fluid out the drain line.

I think his use of Dexron was a 2-stage process to flush all old fluid, and then flush Dexron. A little over-the-top IMO.

The fluid goes from pump into trans and torque converter. Same fluid goes round and round.

The primary reason for this procedure is you can't drain the 3+ qts in the torque converter any other way. You can of course use the dilution method of replacing all fluid, but you still wind up w/ 5-10% old fluid.

good luck

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM

OK, I get it. Replacing the fluid in the torque converter is the main reason for doing it. I might try this, since I still have some Z1 left over from before DW1 came out. Still would have to figure out which lines I need to use, and get some more DW1.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I picked up 7 quarts of DW1 yesterday for $6.50/qt. I did two drain and fills tonight and man is it smoother! No more jerking and seems to hold better and I feel the accelleration the car should have. I plan to do two more drain and fills soon to get as much old fluid out as I can w/o having to mess w/ the tranny lines (although I might even do that). With two drain and fills last year, two tonight (DW1), and two more in the days to come (DW1) I should have virtually all of the right ATF in there.
I can't believe the difference w/ the right Honda ATF. I stand corrected that the "Honda only" guys are wrong! Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the help! Oh, and the wife is happy now too, so that's a bonus!!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the results.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

good to hear

Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 12guns
I picked up 7 quarts of DW1 yesterday for $6.50/qt. I did two drain and fills tonight and man is it smoother! No more jerking and seems to hold better and I feel the accelleration the car should have. I plan to do two more drain and fills soon to get as much old fluid out as I can w/o having to mess w/ the tranny lines (although I might even do that). With two drain and fills last year, two tonight (DW1), and two more in the days to come (DW1) I should have virtually all of the right ATF in there.
I can't believe the difference w/ the right Honda ATF. I stand corrected that the "Honda only" guys are wrong! Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the help! Oh, and the wife is happy now too, so that's a bonus!!
Hey glad it worked out but you do have a filter on this car, it should be changed. I would add that to the next cycle. Having done two, I would wait for the next one until you get the filter and do it then.

Quick Reply: 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues