General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Hey glad it worked out but you do have a filter on this car, it should be changed. I would add that to the next cycle. Having done two, I would wait for the next one until you get the filter and do it then.
Where is the filter located? I remember reading about an "in line" filter on top of the transmission, but other said there is no filter. To be honest I didn't even look when I was under there, it was kind of cramped! Thanks and I agree, I'll change it (if I can locate it) at the next drain/fill. Autozone-not that they know what they are doing- said the "transmission had to be disassembled" to get to the filter. They may be wrong though.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Your V6 has a canister type filter that is bolted into the side of the transmission case.

The 4 cylinder automatics had an in-line filter on top of the transmission.

Honda does not consider these be a normal service item and only changes it if there are problems. However, some people that do their own maintenance will change it.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=82&productID=5&yearID=39 &doorID=4&gradeID=631&areaID=2&transmissionID=7&or iginID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1§ionID=3&idAndImageID=16157%20948355&isBigPicture =False&pageName=AT%20Oil%20Level%20Gauge%20-%20ATF%20Pipe%20%28V6%29

Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 12guns
Where is the filter located? I remember reading about an "in line" filter on top of the transmission, but other said there is no filter. To be honest I didn't even look when I was under there, it was kind of cramped! Thanks and I agree, I'll change it (if I can locate it) at the next drain/fill. Autozone-not that they know what they are doing- said the "transmission had to be disassembled" to get to the filter. They may be wrong though.
This how-to was done on an 03 V6. Previous generation, but I assume it's pretty much the same area. On the 7th gen V6 you just have to remove the air filter box, and you can get to it from the top.
03 V6 2Door Auto Transmission Filter change - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

The location of the AT filter for the V6 differ for the 7th generation vs. 8th gen Accords. From the parts diagram, the filter for the 2008-2012 Accord V6 looks to be to the left of the transmission dipstick.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-8th-gen-acccord-filter.jpg   2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-8th-accord-v6-dipstick.jpg   2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-7th-gen-accord-v6-filter-location.jpg   2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-7th-gen-accord-dipstick.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM

It's a lot harder to tell exactly where the canister is, in the 8th gen drawing. It looks like the canister is facing in the opposite direction from looking at the drawing, but hard to tell.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 06-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Based on the parts diagram, I would say the filter for the 8th gen does face the opposite direction than 7th gen due to the path lines in the diagram.

It looks like it should be to the left of the transmission dipstick.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-engine-transmission.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

From this picture, I am not sure if this is the exact location.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues-8th-gen-accord-engine-transmission.jpg  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it left an unanswered question. The 8th gen transmission filter is a canister type that is unfortunately located behind the torque converter thus requiring transmission removal to access. I don't pretend to know why the engineers decide that was a good idea, but I use an inline filter from the 4 cylinder model inserted in the cooler line.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thericepatch
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it left an unanswered question. The 8th gen transmission filter is a canister type that is unfortunately located behind the torque converter thus requiring transmission removal to access. I don't pretend to know why the engineers decide that was a good idea, but I use an inline filter from the 4 cylinder model inserted in the cooler line.
The canister type filter is where it is because it will last way longer than the transmission, assuming proper ATF fluid replacements on schedule.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
The canister type filter is where it is because it will last way longer than the transmission, assuming proper ATF fluid replacements on schedule.
I'm not sure where you get your information shipo, I've been a Honda mechanic for over a dozen years. While I appreciate the evidence that every other aspect of this transmission is much more reliable than the previous design, the filter not being serviceable was the killer of the BMXA in the 01-05 civics and the BAXA in the 98-02 Accord. I've rebuilt dozens of each of those, and can tell you a serviceable filter is the ideal, which is why I install an inline in any Honda that doesn't have a serviceable filter from the factory.

Quick Reply: 2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues