General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 accord hit in front end and air bag went off, won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Default 2009 accord hit in front end and air bag went off, won't start?

Have 2009 accord was hit in front end and air bag went off. We fixed sheet metal damage on car and it won't start and acts like no fuel.

I am sure it has something to do with the steering wheel air bag gone off and something needs to be reset.

Also need to know where to get correct aftermarket sensors and SRS unit and salvaged air bag ready to install.

I have googled this and it is seems common issue after air bags go off for a Honda vehicle not to start after air bags go off. I need to know for 2009 accord what I need to do to get this going again.

I know it is do to safety system is meant to shut car down after crash. I need to get car temporally drivable, so I can get it to different shops to get airbag installed and other related work done.

I just need what to check and what sensors need to be replaced in air bag system.

I don't want to get ripped off by dealership, I got local shops that can fix this sort of thing, but they not Honda mechanics.

From reading on many threads non-2009 Honda. I kind of got rough ideas on what might be going on but not 100% sure

maybe inertia switch / SRS has to be reset or replaced? where are these located and how to reset?
seatbelt crash lock and airbag needs to be replaced
SRS will blow fuses and SRS itself out, in some cases needs to be replaced.
I do have access to scanner just need to be able to drive car to shop to have it checked.
some say aftermarket SRS and Airbag stuff works, some says don't use them?
maybe can use bypass airbag and seatbelt chips to temp run it?

Just need 2009 model advice from someone that has worked on these.

I need some input on this, I am old school mechanic and not to knowledgeable with newer electronic cars.

Local Honda dealership will not help me or give advice on what I need to do, All I get is bring it in and we will do it for you B-S

Old 10-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If fuel is cut to it the quickest way is to remove the buckles and airbags that deployed and have your SRS module reset. You'll probably have a hard time finding someone locally. A lot of places online do it. Then you will be able to drive it. If you can do remove the parts you can certainly install new parts. You can find them online or at a junk yard. The effected parts just need to be replaced and module reset.

You will not be able to drive until then

Old 10-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

After a collision, if SRS components deployed, the deployed components and SRS module will have to be replaced. However, the SRS module would not be the cause of the car being unable to start.

Depending on the area and severity of the collision, the PCM (powertrain control module), connectors, wiring may have been damaged. The PCM is in the engine compartment. Battery cables, fuses, etc. should also be checked.

Does the car have electrical power? Check or have someone check the battery output.

If you know someone with an OBD-II code reader, have them see if the reader can even communicate with the PCM. If it can, see if there are trouble codes. Some reader even can read Honda SRS trouble codes.

Btw: I also replied to your other thread on our sister forum (an "Internet Brands" forums).

Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Default Possibly SRS Airbag Recall

About a year ago or two, I believe there was a recall on the air bag system. I'll double check hopefully someone here could correct me.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Adnoh Drocca
About a year ago or two, I believe there was a recall on the air bag system. I'll double check hopefully someone here could correct me.
The OP's car was in a collision, the recall would not apply.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanks you all for your input. It helped me get off right direction. I will update as project gets done and hopefully get car running again.

I wanted to do mechanical stuff first and make sure car was going to run again before spending money to have body damage fixed, but got over ruled by body shop guy. So we got good looking car that won't run at the moment. sucks..lol

Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 PM

I pulled srs box and mailed it in. I tried to start it without the air bag, seat belt, and srs box hooked up.

Still would not start, I can't hear fuel pump running when key is first turned on. I check fuel pump fuse and other ones they all are good.

I pretty sure something is keeping pump off from crash any ideas?

Maybe fuel pump won't work until all stuff is hooked back up?

They car does have an factory alarm system that was going off at body shop and they disconnected horns, It still maybe in alarm state? I forgot to hook horns back up today when working on it.

Would active security alarm stop fuel pump?

Is there a fuel pump relay?

What is a good service manual for this car?

Where to get a downloaded owners manual for 2009 accord?

Last edited by tammy53; 11-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tammy53
I pulled srs box and mailed it in. I tried to start it without the air bag, seat belt, and srs box hooked up.

Still would not start, I can't hear fuel pump running when key is first turned on. I check fuel pump fuse and other ones they all are good.

I pretty sure something is keeping pump off from crash any ideas?

Maybe fuel pump won't work until all stuff is hooked back up?

They car does have an factory alarm system that was going off at body shop and they disconnected horns, It still maybe in alarm state? I forgot to hook horns back up today when working on it.

Would active security alarm stop fuel pump?

Is there a fuel pump relay?

What is a good service manual for this car?

Where to get a downloaded owners manual for 2009 accord?
It's possible that the crash is keeping the pump turned off. But then you mention it has a factory alarm which WILL keep the pump off if it's activated. The alarm is adding to your wiring issues, and might be keeping the pump off , or it could be something ellse doing that. I don't know if Honda was still using the main relay to run the pump or not.(too new for me). For a good FSM, contact Helm Inc, as they make most of the FSM's used by dealerships (it might be a paper version or a disc version though). It should cover most everything in the car. The wiring manual (sold separately) should have the factory alarm wiring in it.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 PM

well finally had time to work on it had friend come over with computer and hook it up.

we trouble shot it. have no fuel pressure and no spark when we had spark tester on it.
How ever sparked maybe random... it popped a couple of times on starting fluid, but it should of roared on ST fluid but only popped..
we had 2 fault computers both said could not communicate with vehicle.
We went thru all fuses found nothing blown

He thinks ECM is shot? I kind of lost,,, it is dealership time I think,,,I hate dealerships!!! nothing but a bunch of rip off artists.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 PM

other strange thing if towed or on trailer it will start hard and run when at angle, but wont on flat ground long and once it quits it will not start again? WTF!!!

Quick Reply: 2009 accord hit in front end and air bag went off, won't start?