General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Accord Radio Delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Default 2010 Accord Radio Delay

I have a really perplexing problem to throw out there. I have a 2010 Accord LX-P (6 speakers/no NAV) that I recently upgraded with a premium audio system. See my thread "Disappointing DIY Install Results - Help!" for details.

So now I'm ready to sell the car and upgrade to the EX-L, and I just ripped out all my aftermarket gear to bring the car back to stock. The only problem is that the radio is acting really funny now. When I start the car, the radio doesn't play and the display is blank. The A/C controls and the hazards work, but the power sockets (front dash and storage console) do not work.

Eventually, however, after about 20 minutes of driving, everything suddenly comes back on - radio, display, power sockets...everything. Very weird. Once everything comes back on, I can turn the car off and on again and it all still works. One the car cools down and is turned off for a while (overnight), the cycle starts over with nothing working again.

What could be causing this delay in everything turning on? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

This info. is from what a Honda tech told a guy with problems after he took out and re-install the OEM radio. Try this, it may or may not help:

There is a resistor plate behind the plastic face of the radio that lies directly between the volume control **** and the menu select **** (the only two ***** on the non navi radio). When the radio is removed, sometimes this resistor plate slides forward from between the radio due to the pulling and tugging required to pop the ten clips loose.

To correct this, use your thumbs, place both your thumbs on the front of the radio between the two *****. One thumb on VOL and the other thumb on PUSH PWR and press hard. It will shift the resistor plate back into place and restore functionality to your buttons.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks for your advice. Since I have removed/reinstalled the radio several times over the past few days, it makes sense that this resistor may have come loose. Unfortunately, though, I just ran out on my lunch break to try your suggestion, and it still didn't work.

Is it possible that the temperature of the car could effect the power getting to the radio? The trend I've seen is that the longer the car is off, the longer it takes for the radio to come back on.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure what may be going on. But, other than what I posted previously, this is all I have:

1. Check vehicle battery condition first.
  2. Check the connectors for poor connections or loose terminals.
Check all connectors. However, pay a little more attention to Connector A (24P) wires and terminals. Was anything cut when the aftermarket system was installed?

For the front accessory power socket, there is a relay. Pull the relay which is located in the driver side under-dash fuse/relay box and check for continuity between the terminals of the relay.

The storage console power socket has a separate relay, the relay should be located under the dash area, near the center console. Kind of strange though that both would be out intermittently.

Relay terminals are numbered as follow:

4 2
3 1

There should be continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals when battery power (+) is connected the No. 4 terminal, and body ground (-) is connected to the No. 3 terminal.

There should be no continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminal when power is disconnected.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-15-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Well, as it turns out...we'll never know the solution to my problem. The reason that I wanted to solve this issue so quickly is that I was trading in the car for a 2011 ex-l.

Last Friday, I called the service manager at my local dealership to see if he had experienced this problem before. He asked me when I could come in, and I mentioned that I needed to stop by over the weekend because I was trading the car in on Monday. He laughed and told me not to worry about it since the car was under warranty and he'd be responsible for "certifying" it anyway.

Not my problem anymore...even though I was really interested in getting to the root cause. Oh well. The upgraded ex-l is really nice. iPod controls and bluetooth...sweet!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear. I have an 8th gen Accord and I've been enjoying it.